TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS

will i be able to use biodiesel in my 2006 cummins 5.9 ...

will i be able to use biodiesel in my 2006 cummins 5.9 diesel 2500series truck.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

2006 - 2007 (DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (Heavy Duty)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L High Output or a 6.7L

Cummins Turbo-Diesel Engine (sales codes ETH or ETJ respectively) that

were built on or after March 07, 2006 (MDH 0307XX).

DISCUSSION:

Current Fuel Systems:

- For the diesel engine system to operate at its peak performance a high level of fuel

quality must be maintained. Emission control and fuel delivery systems have advanced

significantly. Care must be taken to insure that the fuel that is delivered to the engine fuel

injection system is of the highest quality possible and free of contaminants.

- Significant components to fuel quality are: the initial quality of the fuel (as dispensed from

the service station fuel pump or bulk storage), on-vehicle fuel storage, and the on-vehicle

fuel filtering of the diesel fuel prior to the fuel injection process.

- Refer to the Owners Manual for fuel and fuel system information.

Proper Fuel And Fuel Quality:

- Use good quality diesel fuel from a reputable supplier. It is recommended that purchase

of diesel fuel should be made from a service station that is known to dispense a high

volume of highway diesel fuel.

- ** Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (15 ppm of sulfur or less and meeting ASTM

D975 - grade S-15) is required for use in Dodge Ram Trucks equipped with a 6.7L diesel

NUMBER: 14-007-06 REV. A

GROUP: Fuel

DATE: September 02, 2006

engine. **

- ** The 2007 Ram Truck Cab and Chassis (DC) vehicle is equipped with a 6.7L diesel

engine. This vehicle is to use Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel. Due to limited

availability of Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel, during the initial production of this

vehicle, Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (500 ppm of sulfur or less) may be used ONLY

until Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel fuel becomes readily available and fuel pumps that

dispense Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel are required to be labelled as such. This is

expected to occur around October 15, 2006. **

- ** Ultra Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel (preferred) or Low Sulfur Highway Diesel Fuel

(500 ppm of sulfur or less) are required for use in Dodge Ram Trucks equipped with a 5.9L

diesel engine. **

- A maximum blend of 5% biodiesel (B5) is acceptable as long as the biodiesel mixture

meets ASTM specification D-975, D-975 - grade S-15, and ASTM D6751. A biodiesel fuel

blend that is higher than 5% is not acceptable without additional fuel processing because

these higher percentage biodiesel blends contain excess amounts of moisture which

exceed the water stripping capability of the on-engine final fuel filter. Should a higher

percentage biodiesel fuels be used an auxiliary water stripping filter will be required.

- A maximum blend of 20% biodiesel (B20) can be used by government, military, and

commercial fleets who equip their vehicle(s) with an optional water separator, and adhere

to the guidelines in the Department of Defense specification A-A-59693 (in addition to:

ASTM specification D-975, D-975 - grade S-15 and ASTM D6751)

- Off-highway diesel fuel (i.e. farm or marine use diesel fuel) that does not meet Ultra Low

Sulfur Highway or Low Sulfur Highway fuel specifications (as listed above) is NOT

acceptable. Unknown sulfur and water content and unknown cetane number may

adversely affect the performance of the engine and fuel injection system.

- Fuel conditioners (additives) are not recommended and should not be required if you buy

good quality fuel and follow cold weather advice supplied in the Owners Manual.

Proper Bulk (Off-Vehicle) Fuel Storage:

- Proper maintenance of stored fuel is essential. Diesel fuel is seldom entirely free of

moisture. Fuel contaminated with moisture may develop a bacteria or "slime" that may

restrict or block fuel filters and lines.

- As diesel fuel is lighter than water, drain condensation no less than monthly from the

diesel fuel supply/storage tanks.

- Change the storage tank in-line filter regularly. This filter acts as the last filter prior to the

diesel fuel entering the vehicle diesel fuel tank. Good quality diesel fuel is mandatory. If the

storage tank does not have an in-line filter, then a in-line filter should be added. Refer to

the table on the following page for recommended in-line filter specifications.

Proper On-vehicle Fuel Storage And Filtering:

- Proper on-vehicle fuel storage that prevents fuel contamination is important.

- The original (OEM) vehicle fuel tank module (fuel pickup) filter performs a primary filtering

of the on-vehicle diesel fuel as the fuel leaves the fuel tank and enters the fuel lines.

- On-vehicle auxiliary diesel fuel tanks are often added by the vehicle owner to extend

vehicle driving range. Auxiliary fuel tank systems must protect the quality of the diesel fuel

just as well as the originally equipped (OEM) fuel tank that came with the vehicle when it

14-007-06 REV. A -2-

was new.

- On-vehicle auxiliary diesel fuel storage tanks must have a primary fuel filter to prevent

contamination and moisture accumulation. Refer to the table on the following page for

recommended filter specifications.

- The prevention of moisture in the fuel system, the prevention of fuel stagnation, and the

use of a primary fuel filter should all be considered in the purchase, installation, and

maintenance of any auxiliary on-vehicle diesel fuel tank.

Proper On-vehicle Final Fuel Filtering:

- The large fuel filter mounted at the engine is the final fuel filter, water separator, fuel

heater, and water drain. This filter is the final "line of defense" when maintaining a high

level of fuel quality. If the diesel fuel is contaminated or contains moisture, the engine

mounted fuel filter system is the last chance to affect possible correction.

- The quality of the fuel, its prior storage, and fuel handling prior to the final filter all have a

significant impact on the amount of contamination and moisture entering the final fuel filter.

- It is important to drain accumulated moisture/water at least monthly from the final fuel

filter. Do not wait until the "Water In Fuel" indicator illuminates before performing this

maintenance.

- Maintenance on the final fuel filter / water separator is important. Follow the maintenance

schedule per the Owners Manual. Replace the filter more frequently if highly contaminated

or high moisture content fuel is encountered.

- On a 5.9L engine, if the final fuel filter is replaced due to a high moisture content diesel

fuel, verify that the water sensor probes in the final filter have been cleaned. Excessive

moisture may contaminate the sensor sensing probes. The 6.7L engine includes a new

water-in-fuel sensor with the new final fuel filter element.

- The final fuel / water separator filter must meet or exceed OEM specifications. Some

aftermarket filters may not meet OEM specifications.

- The final fuel / water separator filter must meet or exceed the filtration specifications

listed in the table below.

CATEGORY FUEL FILTER SPECIFICATION

Particle Removal Efficiency Per SAE J1985

(Single Pass)

7 micron @ 98.7% Efficiency

Dirt Holding Capacity at 1.5 PSI and 52

GPH (Bosch CRFS TKU)

Greater than or equal to 15 grams

Maximum Delta Pressure @ Rated Flow

(Filter Installed in Housing)

1.5 PSI (New) or 5 PSI (Plugged of Cold

Weather)

Water Stripping Performance Per SAE

J1488

95% Efficient @ 36.5 GPH

Fluid Compatibility Commercial Diesel US#1 and US#2

(LSD/ULSD) B20 Material Compatible with

SBME (Soybean Methyl Ester) and RSME

(Rapeseed Methyl Ester)

-3- 14-007-06 REV. A

TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS