Scott
Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
6216639

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan: 150,000 miles..car makes..doesnt start

I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan that has 150,000 miles. Over the last month or so, when I first turn the key the car makes a click sound but doesn't start. It usually would start on the second try. Today, the car basically quit starting. Every once in a while the car starts. The battery is good. When I try to start the car, if I turn the key slowly, I can distinguish 3 phases. The first phase has a click and the lights for the odometer and and the panel that shows you what gear your in comes on. The second phase makes a whir noise and all the rest of the lights on the dash come on. The third phase is a click and then nothing. All fuses are good and have the same power as the battery. My fiance says the cylinoid is throwing out the plunger, but not turning the starter motor. He wants to know if there is more than one starter relay. He found one underneath the hood.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

Hello . This is Scott. Your starter solenoid has a switch inside of it that powers the starter only after the drive gear is engaged in the flex plate / ring gear .

The solenoid switch has worn out and the repair is to replace the starter.

I hope this is helpful, If you need more info please ask, Thanks Scott.

Scott, Driveability expert
Experience: Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.