Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

how do you replace the water pump on a 2001 dodge stratus

is there any way to view a diagram? Car is v4 2.4 engine 4 dr
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: I am looking for even more detail than this - this is too general for the little bit of experience we have

If you need I can supply most diagrams & help, but you need to know, This is not an easy job & if you are not familar with this type Removal & Installation, you need to have someone with expeience with this type proceedure. The book calls for 3.5 hours for a seasoned mecahanic.

Here is the Timing Belt Removal & Install, in case you move the crank or cams:

graphic

Experience: Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: yes we have heard this and may make a mess but the $1000. repair estimate was enough to make us think we could try. I am accepting your diagrams but can you send them in a way that will allow me to print them to give them to my Dad. The zoom and print key do not do anything at all and the print page only prints the first diagram and no more.
Thanks Lisa

We are limited to a certain amount of space. The image is in .png. Check your Printer settings or copy to a Grapics program to print.
The Zoom & Size is just part of the copied pictures & mean nothing.

Here is another Remove & Install.
Try this:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

This procedure requires removing the engine timing belt and the auto tensioner. The factory specifies that the timing marks should always be aligned before removing the timing belt. Set the engine at TDC on No. 1 compression stroke. This should align all timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and both camshaft sprockets.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle to a level that allows access from above and below.

2. Remove the right inner splash shield.

3. Remove the accessory drive belts.

4. Place a drain pan under the radiator drain plug. Drain and properly contain the cooling system.

5. Support the engine using a floor jack and block of wood, then remove the right motor mount.

6. Remove the timing belt, tensioner and camshaft sprockets.

7.  

1. Remove the rear timing belt cover to access the water pump.

2. Remove the water pump attaching bolts.

3. Remove the water pump.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 1: Water pump location on the cylinder block-4-cylinder engines

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 2: Water pump assembly-4-cylinder engines

To install:

1. Thoroughly clean all sealing surfaces. Replace the water pump if there are any cracks, signs of coolant leakage from the shaft seal, loose or rough turning bearings, a damaged impeller or sprocket, or a loose or damaged sprocket flange.

2. Install a new rubber O-ring into the water pump.

Make sure the O-ring is properly seated in the water pump groove before tightening the screws. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring and cause a coolant leak.

1. Install the water pump and tighten the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).

2. Using a cooling system pressure tester, pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi and check for leaks. If okay, release the pressure and continue the engine assembly process.

3. Rotate the water pump by hand to check for freedom of movement.

4. Install the rear timing belt cover.

5. Install the camshaft sprocket(s), timing belt and tensioner. DO NOT allow the camshafts to turn while the sprocket bolts are being tightened, in order to maintain timing mark alignment.

6. Install the timing belt covers.

7. Install the right engine mount bracket and engine mount.

8. Remove the floor jack and wood block from underneath the engine.

9. Install the crankshaft damper.

10. Install the right inner splash shield.

11. Lower the vehicle.

12. Install and tension the accessory drive belts.

13. Refill the cooling system using the correct quantity and type of coolant. Bleed the cooling system.

14. Start the engine and check for proper operation.

15. Check and top off the cooling system, if necessary.

16. TIMING BELT & SPROCKETS:

17.  

3. Remove the accessory drive belts.

4. Remove the crankshaft damper.

5. Place a floor jack under the engine oil pan, with a block of wood in between, and jack up the engine slightly so that the weight of the engine is no longer on the engine mount bracket.

6. Remove the upper engine mount and the engine mounting bracket.

7. Remove the front timing belt cover(s).

8.  

1. Align the timing marks of the timing belt sprockets to the timing marks on the rear timing belt cover and oil pump cover. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolts.

2. Remove the timing belt and the tensioner.

Click image to see an enlarged view
        Fig. 3: Locking the timing belt tension on a mechanical tensioner

1. If equipped with a mechanical tensioner, install a 6mm Allen wrench into the belt tensioner, then insert the long end of a 1/8 inch or 3mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner. Rotate the tensioner counterclockwise with the 6mm wrench, while pushing in lightly on the 1/8 inch or 3mm Allen wrench until it slides into the locking hole.

2. Remove the camshaft sprockets.

3. Remove the crankshaft sprocket using special removal tool No. 6793 or equivalent.

4. If equipped with a hydraulic tensioner, place the tensioner into a soft jawed vise to compress the tensioner. After compressing the tensioner, place a pin (a 5/64 in. Allen wrench will work) into the plunger side hole to retain the plunger until installation.

To install:

1. Using sprocket installation tool No. 6792 or equivalent, press the crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft.

2. Install the camshaft sprockets onto the camshafts. Install and tighten the sprocket retaining bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm).

Click image to see an enlarged view
        Fig. 4: Proper camshaft sprocket alignment for timing belt installation

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket. Set the crankshaft sprocket to Top Dead Center (TDC) by aligning the notch on the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.

2. Set the camshafts to align the timing marks on the sprockets.

3. Move the crankshaft to 1/2 notch before TDC.

4. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft, then around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets, and then around the tensioner pulley.

5. Move the crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up the belt slack.

6. Install the tensioner to the engine block, but do not tighten.

7. Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley apply 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm) of tighten to the tensioner pulley.

8. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley, move the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten the fasteners to 275 inch lbs. (31 Nm).

9. Remove the tensioner plunger pin. The tension is correct when the plunger pin can be removed and replaced easily.

10. Rotate the crankshaft 2 revolutions and recheck the timing marks. Wait several minutes and then recheck that the plunger pin can easily be removed and installed.

11. Reinstall the front timing belt cover(s).

12. Reinstall the engine mount bracket.

13. Reinstall the right engine mount.

14. Remove the floor jack from under the vehicle.

15. Install the crankshaft damper and tighten to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).

16. Install the accessory drive belts and adjust to the proper tension.

17. Install the right inner splash shield.

18. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

19. Check for leaks and proper engine operation.

If that won't work, let me know which ones of the .png & I will try to cut them up