TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

1998 Dodge Ram 1500: VIN..gauge..cam..Relays-ASD,Fuel,Trans

I need to know pin location for PCM "A","B",and "C".Also what pin location is controlling, as well as where to find splices, fuseable links, and gounds on wire harness? 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, 2wd, 5.2, automatic, no anti theft, and VIN is: 1B7HC13Y1WJ210434.The problem is no spark, no fuel, no gauge movement when key on,no 5 volts to cam and crank sensors, and Snap-On scan will not read Codes. I have replaced Battery crank and cam angle sensors,Relays-ASD,Fuel,Trans,and security even though testing said they are good. I have tested by volts and ohms ing. switch as well. Ithink I have it narrowed down to ground of PCM or internal falt of PCM due to no 5 volt out put of PCM? Wire drawning in Haynes and Chilton not very helpful, but has gotten me this far. Is there a web site I can go to for wire diagram? Thanks David
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

br809258

check all of the grounds(black/tan wires)-- if all are good -- your engine controller has failed,tim

TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience: DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well this is petty good ,but what about PCM input-output for "A","B", and "C" connector wire diagram or site where I can down load and/or at less look at?
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
GIVE ME A MINUTE AND I WILL SEND YOU A COPY--JUST TRYING TO SAVE YOU TIME-- if grounds good- pcm bad-- be back in a minute,tim
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have a diesle engine. Itis a gas 5.2. Does this make a defferance? I think it does not have a engine control module if it is gas fuel? Thanks
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - C1
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1--
2F18 18LG/BKFUSED IGN. (ST-RUN)
3--
4K4 18BK/LBSENSOR GROUND
5--
6T41 18BK/WTPARK/NEUTRAL POSITION SWITCH SENSE
7--
8K24 18GY/BKENGINE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
9--
10--
11--
12--
13--
14--
15--
16--
17--
18--
19--
20--
21--
22A14 14RD/WTFUSED B(+)
23K22 18OR/DBTHROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL
24--
25--
26--
27K1 18DG/RDWATER IN-FUEL SENSOR SIGNAL
28--
29--
30--
31Z12 14BK/TNGROUND
31Z12 14BK/TNGROUND
32Z12 14BK/TNGROUND

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - C2
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1T54 18VTTRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
2--
3--
4--
5--
6--
7--
8K88 18VT/WTTRANSMISSION VARIABLE FORCE SOLENOID
9--
10K20 18DGGENERATOR FIELD DRIVER
11K54 18OR/BKTORQUE CONVERTOR CLUTCH SOLENOID/RELAY CONTROL
12--
13--
14--
15--
16--
17--
18--
19--
20--
21T60 18BROVERDRIVE SOLENOID CONTROL
22--
23--
24--
25T13 18DB/BKOUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR GROUND
26--
27G7 18WT/ORVEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
28T14 18LG/BKOUTPUT SHAFT SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL
29T25 18LG/WTGOVERNOR PRESSURE SIGNAL
30K30 18PKTRANSMISSION RELAY CONTROL
31K7 18OR5 VOLT SUPPLY
32--

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE - C3 (3.9L/5.2L/5.9L)
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1C13 18DB/ORA/C COMPRESSOR CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL
2--
3K51 18DB/YLAUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY CONTROL
4V36 18TN/RDSPEED CONTROL VACUUM SOLENOID CONTROL
5V35 18LG/RDSPEED CONTROL VENT SOLENOID CONTROL
6T18 18LG/OROVERDRIVE LAMP DRIVER
7--
8--
9--
10K106 18WT/DGLEAK DETECTION PUMP SOLENOID CONTROL
11V32 18YL/RDSPEED CONTROL ON/OFF SWITCH SENSE
12A142 14DG/ORAUTO SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT
13T6 18OR/WTTRANSMISSION O/D SWITCH SENSE
14K107 18ORLEAK DETECTION PUMP SWITCH SENSE
15K118 18PK/YLBATTERY TEMPERATURE SENSOR SIGNAL
16--
17--
18--
19K31 18BR/WTFUEL PUMP RELAY CONTROL
20K52 18PK/WTEVAPORATIVE EMISSION SOLENOID CONTROL
21--
22C20 18BRA/C SWITCH SENSE
23C90 18LG/WTA/C SELECT INPUT
24V40 18WT/PKBRAKE SWITCH SENSE
25T125 18DBGENERATOR SOURCE
26K226 18DB/WTFUEL LEVEL SENSOR
27D21 18PK/DBSCI TRANSMIT
28D2 18WT/BKCCD BUS(-)
29D20 18DGSCI RECEIVE
30D1 18VT/BRCCD BUS (+)
31--
32V37 18RD/LGSPEED CONTROL SWITCH SIGNAL

Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

i know, it would help if i could read and paste what i wanted to , tim

all the plugs have same wiring numbers -- juste different color

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This helpful and I don't mind paying for this so for but if I do can I continue with more questions? I do not have 32 pin loctions only 31 per connector. Please let me know if i can pay first before we continue. Thanks David
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
yes you can
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did you get paid?
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
yes, thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hope I'm doing right. I can get you a part Number if you like. It's on the PCM and is dodge number. I got C1. what about B and A?
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

ok -- the powertrain control module has 3- connectors on it --most of it is used for engine functions -- then trans and down the line--

are b and a -- out of a chilton manual?

all dodge list is c1,c2,c3--as listed above ?

i am not sure what you are asking me now?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have chiltons and haynes manuals. They are helpful,but don't have the intire wire diagram like dealer would have. Is there a web site to get this info or do I have to go and buy a dealer manual? And whice one from dealer should I ask for to get sensor readings,wire harness, ground location,and trouble shooting info?
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

the good websites are dealer only.

but i would go to the dealer and ask to order a shop diagnostic manual-- for specific year /model-- approx cost $80

Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
Perform no response diagnostic tests found in the powertrain and body diagnostic manuals... Anytime you get a NO RESPONSE from the pcm, you need the POWER pins (c1)2-22, GROUND (c1) 31-32 and be sure the 5 volt supplies are not shorted (pin 17 - c1 - gas) and pin 31 = c2. Also check the sci wires transmit = 5 v from drb3, receive = 5 v from PCM. In one recent case, the tech stated that there was COPPER wire exposed and shorting out in the valve body, The wire was assumed to be for the 5v supply (Governor pressure sensor). The condition was intermittent, when the wire was not shorted the 5 volt supply was present and when shorted it dropped the 5 v volt supply to about 2-3 volts. The tech unplugged the transmission solenoid pack and the 5 volts came back, he drop the pan to replace the solenoid pack and then noticed the exposed COPPER WIRE.
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
ok, i have a question for you -- have you tried to get into any of the other controllers with a scan tool -- to see if we can communicate with them -- i have seen this before be a bad abs controller-- water inconnector -- shorted out controller -- and when it does -- it shuts down the whole data bus system-- leading to a no response,let me know thanks,tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OH!!! Very helpful!!! Thank you very much! Here in Hawaii they charge $178.00 per hour plus tax. So I am very thankful for your input. One guy was charged $600.00 just for spark plug wires,no plugs or any thing else done,OCH!! So thank you again ,I will do somemore testing and might get lucky before taking it to dealer so they can tell me "IT'S THE PCM".I am going to pay you somemore hope you don,t mind THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX Aloha for now.
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.

thanks david and please let me know how you make out --

i live in northern ny-- in the adirondack mountains -- it is 23 degrees out right now,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I sent 35.00 to you the hard way,though PayPal . For some reason it would not go though when I clicked on Bonus!? Hope YOU recieved it and not some one else in Just Ask. Yes I have tried to go two different ways.One with OBD II and the other with chrysler to scan for codes inclueding tring to talk to PCM by activeding sensors and Body,ABS etc. with no resolve. No communacation comes up every time.My scanner works on a '01 same model so I know that it works.I have also tried ohms on data connector all seems good. Except I don't have ALL the info I think I need to rule out all possiblity of something like bad gound or what ever. Unfortunately if you don't have dealer books you don't get ALL the info. I do have Snap-On Fast track but it does not cover this truck very well.I thank you again and will let you know what happens. David
Expert:  TIM replied 6 years ago.
just answer notified me of the payment and the said they will get it to me -- thanks again david,,goodluck-tim