RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Adv Level, Ca Smog License, Chrysler Aftermarket Training.

1999 dodge: brake pedal..master cylinder,brake booster..rubber..hoses

Customer Question

i own a 1999 dodge ram van 2500 my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor, my mechanic changed master cylinder,brake booster,front calipers and rubber hoses and has bled it 5 times and no luck. any ideas, thanks,george
Category: Dodge
Expert:  crossfire replied 6 years ago.

hi adjust your rear brakes should take care of it your oedal will go to the floor with no rear brakes touching you will feel the pedal come up as ther adjusted thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to crossfire's Post: THE REAR BRAKES ARE AT THEIR MAX, NO MORE ADJUSTMENT CAN BE MADE.
Expert:  crossfire replied 6 years ago.
Hi it sounds like your mechanic is missing something if your rear brakes are adjusted out the only thing it can be is air or master cylnder can try a gravity bleed sometimes this works wonders loosen all four bleeders and let it run out monitor dont let it completly run out put about 2 cans in it sometimes air can get trapped you can check the booster by pumping the brakes with engine off hold brakes firm when hard start the engine and pedal should fall also make sure when they were bleeding them it was done in sequence rightrear first then left rear then right front then left front it has to be done this way let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to crossfire's Post: THE MECHANIC DID BLEED THE BRAKES GRAVITY,COMPUTER, VACUUM, CHANGED BOOSTER,MASTER CYLINDER FRONT HOSES AND CALIPERS,STILL PETAL FEELS VERY SPONGY AND IF PRESSED HARD YOU CAN PRACTICALLY GO ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR, WITH NO STOP.
Expert:  crossfire replied 6 years ago.
ok how are the front have they been changed if there worn or have gotten hot they can make the pedal feel spongy ifthey were replaced and rotors not turned they can also go to the floor and not stop if they were turned and not seated in correctly they can do that also thay get hot and get a glasy look on them and just wont seat to the rotor causing low pedal and no stop also you might try checking the new master cylnder if its and autozone or advance it could ery well be bad you dont have hydro boost on this truck do you is it a diesel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO DIESEL , I DON'T THINK IT HAS HYDRO BOOST, THE ONLY THING THAT HASN'T BEEN CHANGED IS THE REAR BRAKE LINE, PISTONS AND ABS SYSTEM.
Expert:  crossfire replied 6 years ago.
no if its not diesel then it doesnt have hydroboost buddy i just dont know i still think your tech is just missing something i will opt out and give another expert a try thanks and good luck
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to JA.

I'd like to help you out with this, but I have a few questions:

• 1) How many miles are on this van?
  • 2) Was the pedal going to the floor before? If not, what was the reason for all the above parts to be serviced?
  • 3) Is the ABS lamp on, or does it come on when the pedal goes to the floor?

~Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE VAN HAS 53,000 MILES, THE PEDAL WAS NOT GOING TO THE FLOOR BEFORE, THE MECHANIC CHANGED ALL THOSE PARTS AND WE STILL HAVE NO NORMAL PEDAL.THE ABS LIGHT IS OFF BUT DOES COME ON WHEN THE MECHANIC BLED THE BRAKES THAT I NOTICED.
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX't want to be repetitous...but can you tell me why the van needed brake work if the pedal was good beforehand? This will give me a better understanding of what possibly could have occured during the service. Also, has your mechanic PRESSURE bled the system yet? How about bleeding with the engine running to actuate the ABS system?

~Rip

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
NO, WHAT I MEANT IS THAT IT WAS GOOD PRIOR TO IT GETTING SOFT, SPONGY. YEAH HE TRIED IT WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY OF BLEEDING IT WITH THE ABS.THIS HAS BEEN MY MECHANIC FOR OVER 10 YEARS SO I TRUST THAT HE KNOWS WHAT HES DOING.(I HOPE).THANKS,GEORGE
Expert:  RIP replied 6 years ago.

Will, I don't want to be the bearer of any bad news...but it sounds like the air is trapped in the ABS hydrolic unit, and this can only be bled with the use of a factory scan tool. Below are the procedures. But, he can try to bleed it by cracking the lines at the hydrolic unit with the engine running. Also, I've had great luck using a pressure bleeder...infact it almost always requires a pressure bleeder to get the stubborn air bubbles out. There's also a possibility that one of the new calipers are sucking air back in through the piston seal...this is especially true for rebuilt calipers. To elliminate the calipers, you can pinch the front rubber lines with special brake hose pinches and see if the pedal hardens up. You can also pinch the rear lines and elliminate any problem with the rear with this method.

~Rip

W/ Four Wheel Antilock Brakes
Notes

ABS system bleeding requires conventional bleeding methods plus use of the DRB scan tool. The procedure involves performing a base brake bleeding, followed by use of the scan tool to cycle and bleed the HCU pump and solenoids. A second base brake bleeding procedure is then required to remove any air remaining in the system.

1. Perform base brake bleeding.
  2. Connect scan tool to the Data Link Connector.
  3. Select ANTILOCK BRAKES, followed by MISCELLANEOUS, then ABS BRAKES. Follow the instructions displayed. When scan tool displays TEST COMPLETE, disconnect scan tool and proceed.
  4. Perform base brake bleeding a second time.
  5. Top off master cylinder fluid level and verify proper brake operation before moving vehicle.