MechanicMan
MechanicMan, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master Auto Technician 28yrs Electrical and Mechanical experience

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MechanicMan replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Here is the procedure...if you have any questions just ask

If this helps hit ACCEPT...BONUSES AND POSITIVE FEEDBACK WELCOMED

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

3.3L Engine

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Plug the open ports to keep dirt from entering

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Label each of the injector harness connections ...

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: ... then detach the harness from each injector

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the mounting bolts, then lift the fuel rail from the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Always replace the injector O-rings

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Install the clip onto the injector to keep it in position

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.

2. Release the fuel system pressure.

3. There are numerous electrical connections to the intake manifold area. Identify and tag as required. This should save time at assembly. Remove the fuel rail from the intake manifold using the following procedure:

1. Disconnect the air plenum from the air cleaner and the throttle body.

2. With the throttle held in the wide-open position, disconnect the throttle linkage and the cruise control linkage from the throttle shaft. Compress the locking tabs on both cables and remove the cables from the mounting bracket.

3. Detach the electrical connector from the solenoid on the EGR valve transducer and the MAP Sensor.

4. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the PCV valve and the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect the brake booster hose at the rear of the intake manifold.

5. Disconnect the throttle body purge hose. Disconnect the electrical wiring to the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor.

6. Remove the EGR tube mounting screws at the intake manifold plenum (upper intake manifold). Remove the intake manifold plenum mounting bolts and the plenum from the engine.

7. At the fuel rail, push the quick-disconnect fitting toward the fuel tube while depressing the built-in disconnect tool with Special Quick-Connect Fitting Tool 6751 or equivalent. To disconnect the fitting from the fuel rail, slightly twist the fitting while maintaining downward pressure on the disconnect tool.

8. Wrap shop towels around the fuel hoses to catch any fuel spillage and be sure to cover the opening to prevent system contamination.

9. Remove the retaining screw from the fuel tube clamp and separate the fuel tubes from the bracket.

10. Turn the fuel injectors toward the center of the engine. Disconnect and label the electrical harness from the fuel injectors.

11. Remove the fuel rail mounting bolts and lift fuel rail straight up and off the engine.

4. Remove the fuel injector retainer clip and gently pull the injector out of the cup on the fuel rail.

To install:

1. Apply a light coating of clean engine oil to the upper O-ring.

2. Install the injector into the cup on the fuel rail and secure by installing retainer clip.

3. Install the fuel rail to the intake manifold as follows:

1. Apply a light coat of clean engine oil to the O-ring on the nozzle end of each injector.

2. Insert the fuel injector nozzles into the openings in the intake manifold. Seat the injectors in place and install the fuel rail mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

3. Reconnect the electrical connectors to each fuel injector. Turn the injectors toward the cylinder head covers.

4. Reconnect the fuel supply and return tubes to the fuel rail. Be sure that the black plastic release ring to the quick-connect fitting is in the OUT position. Place Disconnect Special Tool 6751 or equivalent under the largest diameter of the quick-connect fitting.

5. Pull the disconnect tool toward the fuel rail until the quick-connect fitting clicks into place. Place the Special Tool between the shoulder of the built-in disconnect tool and top of the quick-connect fitting, then inspect the security of the fitting by applying a slight downward force against the fitting. It should be locked in place.

6. Install the clamp over the fuel tubes and tighten the retaining screw.

7. Install the intake plenum with new gasket onto the intake manifold. Loosely install the mounting bolts.

8. Install the EGR tube to the manifold with new gasket in place. Loosely install the mounting screws.

9. Tighten the intake manifold plenum mounting bolts in sequence to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).

10. Tighten the EGR tube mounting bolts.

11. Reconnect the vacuum hoses to the PCV valve and the brake booster.

12. Attach the electrical connectors to the idle air control motor, EGR transducer solenoid, throttle position and MAP sensors.

13. Install the throttle cable and speed control cable to the mounting bracket and reconnect to the throttle body lever while holding lever in the wide-open position.

14. Reconnect the purge hose to the throttle body. Reconnect the air plenum to the air cleaner and the throttle body.

4. Reconnect the negative battery cable.