Scott
Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
6216639

99 dodge ram 2500 8.0L v10. How do I remove the thermostat??

Customer Question

99 dodge ram 2500 8.0L v10. How do I remove the thermostat?? and then install?? this is the strangest thermo I've every seen and cannot remove....
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.

hello This is Scott,

A rubber lip-type seal with a metal shoulder is pressed into the intake manifold beneath the thermostat Thermostat Seal - 8.0L V-10 Engine

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Drain cooling system until coolant level is below thermostat. Refer to Draining Cooling System in this group.
  3. Remove the two support rod mounting bolts and remove support rod (intake manifold-to-generator mount) Support Rod - 8.0L V-10 Engine
  4. Remove upper radiator hose clamp. Remove upper radiator hose at thermostat housing.
  5. Disconnect the wiring connectors at both of the sensors located on thermostat housing.
  6. Remove six thermostat housing mounting bolts, thermostat housing and thermostat

INSTALLATION

1. Clean mating areas of intake manifold and thermostat housing.
  2. Check the condition (for tears or cracks) of the rubber thermostat seal located in the intake manifold Thermostat Seal - 8.0L V-10 Engine Thermostat - 8.0L V-10 Engine The thermostat should fit snugly into the rubber seal.
  3. If seal replacement is necessary, coat the outer (metal) portion of the seal with Mopar® Gasket Maker. Install the seal into the manifold using Special Seal Tool number C-3995-A with handle tool number C-4171.
  4. Install thermostat into recessed machined groove on intake manifold Thermostat - 8.0L V-10 Engine
  5. Install thermostat housing Thermostat - 8.0L V-10 Engine
  6. Install housing-to-intake manifold bolts. Tighten bolts to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.) torque

CAUTION: Housing bolts should be tightened evenly to prevent damage to housing and to prevent leaks.

7. Connect the wiring to both sensors.
  8. Install the upper radiator hose and hose clamp to thermostat housing.
  9. Install support rod.
  10. Fill cooling system. Refer to Refilling Cooling System in this group.
  11. Connect negative battery cable to battery.
  12. Start and warm engine. Check for leaks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

The thermostat is weird , Remember to replace the rubber seal. I hope this info helps, If you need more info -please ask, Thanks Scott.

Scott, Driveability expert
Experience: Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have the housing removed but cannot remove the thermostat!? Seriously, I've tried everything short of a sledge hammer and torch :-) Should it just pop out like normal thermo's or is this one stuck in there?? if so, what is the best method to remove??
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
. The Rubber seal sticks to the metal of the t-stat and starts to roll out of the groove and binds the t-stat in the bore when pulled up. I try and twist the t-stat before pulling it out. You may need to twist and pull at the same time. I remember having to cut the t-stat with a chisel to allow the sides to be bent in to release the t-stat.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Scott -- very thorough instructions. I'll give your advice a try -- though I'm going to opt for the sledge hammer over the chisel if it really gets to that point!!!
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
The torch makes a mess of the temp sensor, The hammer is more selective ,But I stand by the chisel ! Good luck Bro- Let me know , Latter, Scott.