Scott
Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
6216639

engine rebuilt..car wont go over 2500 rpm without dying...timing

Had the engine rebuilt a year ago. The car won't go over 2500 rpm without dying. Engine company rebuilt the engine twice since then and it still won't hold timing. the original computer was working fine when the engine was replaced, but we tried another computer and still the problem. I have been paying $400 per month for the car and $150.00 for the new engine per month and have not been able to drive it for 1 year. This is frustrating to say the least. Can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello , What type of car is this? The Year and engine size? Thanks Scott.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 ltr engine
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello, There are 2 types of 2.7 L engines, The difference is the cam sprocket and the flex plate. Chrysler changed computers and the newer engines required more slot for engine crank and cam sensors. The cam sensor sprocket may be the wrong type for your computer. If you have any more questions please ask.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: both the cam sprocket and sensor have been replaced twice. On each occasions, there is only one sprocket that will fit and we have tried both sensors. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

The two different types of engines are The SBEC controller type, and the NGC controller type. The differences beween the two engines are the crankshaft position sensor tone wheel/flex plate/ ring gear. and the cam shafty position sensor sprocket. The tone wheel that connects at the crankshaft may be wrong.

The other concerns that may cause this concern could be restricted catalytic converters,. Low fuel pressure , possible timing not in spec.

Have you had the computer scanned? Whats the fuel pressure,?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: fuel pressure is ok. catalitic cnverter is ok
Could the wrong crank shaft be installed? original tone ring is being used. Them cam shaft tone ring was replaced, but that was done per vin nunber. will different crank shaft bolt up to the original tone wheel?
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

The Crankshafts are the same. I recommend taking the car to a large dodge dealer and ask them to diagnose the problem. It could take an hour or two of labor -And the problem is diagnosed . Make sure you tell them about the engine swap and you want the cam and crank sensors scoped and the patterns checked. The pattern is located at the end of the diagnostic manual . Please Click accept, Thanks Scott.

Scott, Driveability expert
Experience: Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.