TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

2003 dodge ram 1500: the coolant temp sensor is located..quad cab

Customer Question

can you tell me where the coolant temp sensor is located on a 2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TIM replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL

3.7L V-6

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 3.7L engine is installed into a water jacket at front of intake manifold near rear of generator (MAP SENSOR / ECT SENSOR - 3.7L V-6).

WARNING: HOT, PRESSURIZED COOLANT CAN CAUSE INJURY BY SCALDING. COOLING SYSTEM MUST BE PARTIALLY DRAINED BEFORE REMOVING THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR.

1. Partially drain the cooling system.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor.
  3. Remove the sensor from the intake manifold.

4.7L V-8

WARNING: HOT, PRESSURIZED COOLANT CAN CAUSE INJURY BY SCALDING. COOLING SYSTEM MUST BE PARTIALLY DRAINED BEFORE REMOVING THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR.

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 4.7L V-8 engine is located near the front of the intake manifold (ECT SENSOR - 4.7L V-8).

1. Partially drain the cooling system. Refer to 7, COOLING.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the ECT sensor.

5.7L V-8

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 5.7L engine is located under the air conditioning compressor (ECT LOCATION - 5.7L V-8). It is installed into a water jacket at the front of the cylinder block (ECT REMOVE / INSTALL 5.7L V-8).

1. Partially drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove fan belt. Refer to Accessory Drive in Cooling section.
  3. Carefully unbolt air conditioning compressor from front of engine. Do not disconnect any A/C hoses from compressor. Temporarily support compressor to gain access to ECT sensor. Refer to Heating and Air Conditioning section for information.
  4. Disconnect electrical connector from sensor (ECT REMOVE / INSTALL 5.7L V-8).
  5. Remove sensor from cylinder block.

5.9L Diesel

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 5.9L diesel engine is located near the thermostat housing (ECT LOCATION - 5.9L DIESEL).

1. Partially drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the sensor from the cylinder head.

5.9L V-8 Gas

WARNING: HOT, PRESSURIZED COOLANT CAN CAUSE INJURY BY SCALDING. COOLING SYSTEM MUST BE PARTIALLY DRAINED BEFORE REMOVING THE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR. REFER TO GROUP 7, COOLING.

2. Disconnect the electrical connector from the sensor (ECT SENSOR - 5.9L V-8).
  3. Engines with air conditioning: When removing the connector from the sensor, do not pull directly on the wiring harness. The connector is snapped onto the sensor. It is not equipped with a lock type tab.
  4. Remove the sensor from the intake manifold.

8.0L V-10

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 8.0L V-10 engine is threaded into the thermostat housing (ECT SENSOR - 8.0L V-10).

1. Partially drain the cooling system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to TIM GARRISON's Post: Is it located on the front of the intake manifold
Expert:  TIM replied 7 years ago.
yes it is