Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year

dodge charger: radiator,thermastat,water pump.But it still over heats

Customer Question

we have an 06 dodge charger over heating.We have changed:radiator,thermastat,water pump.But it still over heats, what should we do?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer!

This doesn't happen to be equipped with the 3.5 v6 engine does it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Leo's Post: yes it does!
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

I had a hunch that might be the case. I've run into this twice, both times on Magnums (same powertrain). Let's see if I can explain it so it makes sense....

When you did the t-stat, I'm sure you noticed that it's a strange setup (t-stat in the block). There is a small passage that runs down from the head, and dumps out right on the thermostat. This is what causes the thermostat to open. This is a small passage, restricted down by the headgasket. Generally what happens is junk left over from the casting process accumulates in this passage, blocks it off, and the thermostat won't open properly.

The first time I ran into the cooling system would cycle wildly (up to 250+ before the thermostat would open). The second time it wouldn't open at all.

Both happened at higher mileage than you would expect (one was @14k, the other at 30k).

Run it up to temp, if the thermostats not opening (very little coolant circulation) then I would be pulling the head off. I wish I had some pictures to show you exactly what I'm talking about.. The fix is cleaning the gunk out. I've tried flushing / blowing it out, and never had any luck.

If it was my car, I'd be pushing for Chrysler to fix it, pretty classic example of a manufacturing defect.

Does this sound how the cars acting (overheating / poor circulation through system?).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the head has been pulled, no luck.
Expert:  Leo replied 8 years ago.

Hi again, the plot thickens!

Perhaps I jumped the gun, I've been run around by these cars before twice now, but it sounds like you may be fighting a different battle!

When the driverside head was off, the passage was inspected, particularly where the headgasket necks it down, and no trouble was found?

Is the car loosing coolant?

Is the coolant circulating?

Are the fans coming on?

The only other thing I've seen on these, is thermostats in backwards (pellet goes towards the block). Typically you can't put one in wrong, but it seems to be possilbe with some of the 3.5 housings.

If you could provide some background info (how it orignally started, why the above parts were changed) perhaps we can at least bounce some ideas back and forth and come up with a solution.