Kyle N.
Kyle N., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification, L1 Certification, Ca. Smog License
652461

2003 Grand Caravan: the speedometer quit working and is pegged

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan, yesterday the speedometer quit working and is pegged on the opposite side if the stop.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

If that's your only problem then the speed sensor is most likely faulty on the transmission. It's not uncommon at all on your van.

Let me know if you need more help.

Kyle N., ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience: ASE Master Certification, L1 Certification, Ca. Smog License
Expert:  TIM replied 7 years ago.
HELLOCustomer before replacinf the speed sensor tell me if the tach is pegged also -- the way to correct this is press in and hold the trip button for at least 5 seconds -- instrument cluster will go into recalibration self check and gauges will reset -- if further assistance is needed on the reset please let me know thanks tim
Expert:  TIM replied 7 years ago.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS

The instrument clusters are equipped with a self diagnostic test feature to help identify electronic problems. Prior to any test, perform the Self-Diagnostic Test. The self diagnostic system displays instrument cluster stored fault codes in the odometer display, sweeps the gauges to the calibration points, and bulb checks the warning indicators. When the key is in the ON position with the engine not running, the MIL will remain illuminated for regulatory purposes.

To activate the Self-Diagnostic program:
  1. With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button.
  2. Continue to hold the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button until Sof and a number (software version number (i.e. Sof 3.2) appears in the odometer window then release the button. If a fault code is present, the cluster will display it in the odometer display. When all fault codes have been displayed, the cluster will display "end" in the odometer display. Refer to the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DTC'S table to determine what each trouble code means.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DTC'S

DTC DESCRIPTION
    100.0 LOOP-BACK FAILURE
    100.1 ABS COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.2 BCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.3 EATX COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.4 FCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.5 ORC COMMUNICATION FAULT
    100.6 SBEC/DEC/MCM COMMUNICATION FAULT
    200.0 AIRBAG LED SHORT
    200.1 AIRBAG LED OPEN
    200.2 ABS LED SHORT
    200.3 ABS LED OPEN
    200.6 EL INVERTER TIME-OUT
    200.7 EATX MISMATCH
    400.0 EEPROM READ/WRITE FAILURE
    400.1 IMPROPER POWER DOWN DETECTED

CALIBRATION TEST

The CLUSTER CALIBRATION table contains the proper calibration points for each gauge. If the gauge pointers are not calibrated, a problem exists in the cluster. If any gauge is out of calibration, replace the cluster.

CLUSTER CALIBRATION

SPEEDOMETER CALIBRATION POINT
1 0 MPH (0 KM/H)
2 20 MPH (40 KM/H)
3 60 MPH (100 KM/H)
4 100 MPH (160 KM/H)
TACHOMETER
1 0 RPM
2 1000 RPM
3 3000 RPM
4 6000 RPM
FUEL GAUGE
1 EMPTY
2 1/4 FILLED
3 1/2 FILLED
4 FULL
TEMPERATURE GAUGE
1 COLD
2 1/4
3 3/4
4 HOT

ODOMETER SEGMENT TEST

If a segment in the odometer does not illuminate normally, a problem exists in the display.

ELECTRONIC TRANSMISSION RANGE INDICATOR SEGMENT TEST

If a segment in the transmission range indicator does not illuminate normally, a problem exists in the display.