Matt Kesler
Matt Kesler, ASE Certified Mechanic
Experience:  Over 20 years automotive experience

1996 dodge stratus: anyone tell me how to troubleshoot code p1784

Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot code p1784 on a 1996 dodge stratus.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt Kesler replied 9 years ago.
P1784 is a transmission code. Usually indicating a problem with the LR Pressure Switch.

Unfortunately, this tends to be a very difficult diagnostic situation and you'll most likely need a transmission specialist to take care of the problem. I have a manual here for Chrysler Transmission Repair that lists 7 pages of diagnostics to run in case of this code. It definitely appears to require the proper technology and familiarity with the transmission to troubleshoot and repair.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Matt Kesler's Post: What is a LR pressure switch, and will the car pass emissions with that code on it?
The LR Pressure Switch is a component of the transmission that helps to regulate the pressure in the system.

The car will most likely fail emissions as this will trigger the MIL light which must be off during regular operation for inspection passage in all states (as far as I'm aware).