The dot on the gears are supposed to line up with 2 certain links on the chain itself. There's no marks on the engine itself. Here's the install diagram and instructions:
1. Install sprocket holder, and the left and right chain guides, Fig. 5.
2. Rotate crankshaft until No. 1 piston is at TDC on compression stroke.
3. Install tensioner spring assembly onto oil pump
4. Install timing chain on camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket. Ensure timing marks are aligned, Fig. 8. Timing marks on sprockets are punch marks on the teeth, while timing marks on chain are plated links.
5. Align crankshaft sprocket to crankshaft keyway and slide into place. Align camshaft sprocket dowel hole to camshaft dowel hole.
6. Install dowel pin, then the distributor drive gear. Install sprocket attaching screw onto camshaft and tighten to specifications.
Let me know if you have any more questions!