Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year

2005 Dodge Durango: keyfob..alarm..I disable it manually so that I

Customer Question

My keyfob has died and my alarm is on, how do I disable it manually so that I can drive and get a new battery, it's a 2005 Dodge Durango
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 9 years ago.
Try opening the door with the key, Thanks . Scott
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Scott's Post: Tried that before....but we had to take the battery cables off to get the alarm to stop. I was told that there is away to disable the alarm manually, but it's in the owners manual, and unfortuantely, that's is in the grove box
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Are you going to answer my last question??? I've been waiting all night....
Expert:  Leo replied 9 years ago.

Not trying to step on Scotts toes, just trying to help you get your truck started in case you need to get to work this AM..

There are no switches in the doors on a '05 durango, so that's not going to help you out, nor is there a way to permanetly disable the alarm.

You should be able to unlock the door, open it (the alarm will go off) then start the car with the key, this should turn the alarm system off when it sees the valid key start the vehicle. I know it will work on an '04, but have never personally tried it on an 05.

If your car won't start with the key, then the fob has serious problems, and will need to be replaced / reprogrammed.

If your in a pinch, take the back cover off your key fob. I'm betting the little metal battery clip that holds the battery in is broken. You'll see it loose. Try pushing id down in the center of the clip where it's soldered on to see if you can get it to make enough contact to operate the fob. at this site you should be able to download a copy of your owners manual [free]. you'll need high speed internet though, as the files are large.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Leo HIckey's Post: I looked through the owners manual and didn't find anything....there has to be some way to do this..and we did try working on the battery last's, the guy at the dealership told me something about disabling it if need..of course I cant remember all of what he said...something about the headlight switch???Any suggestions
Expert:  Leo replied 9 years ago.

There is no way to permanetly disable the vehicle theft security system. If he told you there was, he was incorrect.

When you lock the car, it arms. The only two ways to disarm it are by unlocking with the doors with the keyfob, or starting the vehicle with the key. The immobilizer portion of the key fob will work, even without a battery.

The horn will blow when you open the door, but after the truck runs for about 5 or 10 seconds, the horn and alarm should then shut off.

This applies to vehicles equipped with factory security.

I hope this makes sense?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Leo HIckey's Post: I was finally able to get ahold of the dealership and they told me how to fix's how if you ever get this question again.
First unlock and open the door, the alarm will start going off...put the key in the ignition and start the car..wait for about 15 to 20 seconds and it should diable it..if not, do all of the first steps except turning the car on, open the hood and take off the negative battery termial, go back inside the car and turn the car on to the aux postion, go back a put the termial back on, and start the car.
Hope that helps in the future....thanks for trying.

Kezia Searles