joseph carrillo
joseph carrillo, Auto service technician
Experience:  A.S.E. certified auto electrical , engine performance , advanced engine performance, emmisions
2097715

My 1999 dodge grand caravan radiator fan continues to ...

My 1999 dodge grand caravan radiator fan continues to run after engine has shut down and engine is cold. I unplugged the fuse for the fan and when I put the fuse back in, it arced from the amp pull of the fans and shut off completely. I ran the van back up to operating temp and the fans never turned back on. Now it will overheat and the fans will not come on.
the problem is the fan relay , these are very commen problems on the chrysler minivans , the get stuck on , and the fans run even after the vehicle is shut off , the relay is located either behind the front left headlight , or on the frame rail under the front left headlight , dealer part only they have tons in stock
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
do you think I damaged the circuit by disconnecting the fuse and reconnecting it? It made an electric arc when I replaced the fuse, but didnt blow the fuse...but then the fan would not come back on at all???
no i dont think so , the reason it arced was probably because it was stuck , by disconnecting the fuse you probably made the relay open its contacts or just finished taking a dive , replace the relay first .