Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Replace a water pump on a 1996 dodge caravan with a 3.0 engine?

Customer Question

how do you replace a water pump on a 1996 dodge caravan with a 3.0 engine?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 years ago.

3.0L Engine

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Water pump mounting detail-3.0L engine

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the drive belts. Remove the timing belt covers and the timing belt.

4. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.

5. Separate the water pump from the water inlet pipe and remove the water pump.

6. Inspect the water pump and replace as necessary.

To install:

1. Clean all gasket and O-ring surfaces on the water pump and water pipe inlet tube.

2. Wet a new O-ring with water and install it on the water inlet pipe.

3. Install a new gasket on the water pump.

1. Install the pump inlet opening over the water pipe and press until the pipe is completely inserted into the pump housing.

2. Install the water pump-to-block mounting bolts and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).

3. Install the timing belt and timing belt covers. Install and adjust the drive belts.

4. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Fill the cooling system to the proper level with a 50/50 mixture of clean, ethylene glycol antifreeze and water.

5. Run the engine and check for leaks. Top off the coolant level, if necessary.

Experience: Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
doesnt tell me how to deal with the timing belt whuich is the hardest part

DRIVE BELTS:

graphic

TIMING BELT:

graphic