vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

1997 dodge: pickup..cummins engine..The fuel shut off valve

I have a 1997 dodge ram pickup with the cummins engine. The fuel shut off valve was not working properly, so we thought, and replaced it. We are still having the same problem. We checked the plugin connection and found that there is no voltage getting to the valve. I would really like to have a wiring diagram in order to trace the wires back to a relay or fuse or something that might be causing the problem. We tried inter changing some of the relays and still no change. Can you help?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 7 years ago.

Good evening, here is a related wiring diagram:

br701097

The shut off solenoid gets 12 volts from 2 places. Check to see if 12 volts is present at the light green and black wire with the ignition key in the start and run positions. The black and tan wire should show a good ground. The red and violet wire should have voltage when the starter is spinning. Here is more info from the dodge service manual:

FUEL SHUTDOWN SOLENOID TEST

NOTE: The fuel shutdown (shut-off) and fuel shutdown solenoid relay are not controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM)

FUEL SHUT DOWN SOLENOID
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
AF18 20LG/BKFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (START/RUN)
BA123 10RD/VTFUEL SHUT DOWN RELAY OUTPUT
CZ12 10BK/TNGROUND

1. With the ignition switch off, the solenoid shaft should be down and the injection pump lever should be in the shutdown position (no fuel supply to injection pump)
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the CRANK (starter engage) position and observe the solenoid shaft and injection pump lever. The shaft should pull up (shaft retracted into the solenoid) and the pump lever should be in the run position (fuel being supplied to injection pump).
  3. Release the ignition key from the CRANK to the ON position. The shaft should remain in the up position and the pump lever should remain in the run position (fuel being supplied to injection pump) If the solenoid shaft is not moving, refer to the following:

1. Disconnect the solenoid three-wire pigtail wire harness from the main engine harness.
  2. If the solenoid shaft did not move up when the ignition switch was in the CRANK position, check for 12 volts at the three-way connector. This will be the circuit coming from the fuel shutdown solenoid relay. Refer to for wire connector pin location and circuit identification. If 12 volts is not present at this circuit when the key is in the CRANK position, check the fuel shutdown solenoid relay. Refer to Relays - Operation/Testing in this section of the group. Also check the wiring between the relay and the solenoid.
  3. If the solenoid shaft moves up when the ignition switch is in the CRANK position, but moves down when the key is released from the CRANK to the ON position, check the circuit coming from the ignition switch for 12 volts. Refer to for wire connector pin location and circuit identification.
  4. If the shutdown solenoid is being replaced, its shaft length must be adjusted. Refer to Fuel Shutdown Solenoid Removal/Installation for procedures.

Check these items and let me know what you find. Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the response. It's to late in the evening for me to check this out, but I think this will help. I'll get back to you and let you know if all is well.
Just keep me informed.