Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

my 2001 dakota had a front turn signal bulb out , so i ...

my 2001 dakota had a front turn signal bulb out , so i thought . after removing the housing . i found the intact bulb rolling around inside less the rubber gromet . i stuck the bulb and socket back into the electrical fitting . i went to test the light before putting it back together . imagine my shock when i discovered i had no turn signals at all ! i checked the fuse it looked ok . still i replaced it . still i have no signals !

Most likely the bulb you just removed, isnt making the proper contact when you twisted it back in..

You should replace the bulb first, it may have been damaged when rolling around inside the cover housing, Have you tried that yet?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
this started with the fast blinking rt turn signal.1 bulb appeared to be out , but all the others were working . now i have no turn signals at all !

Does the indicator light up on the instrument panel when you turn it on?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no dash indicator light anymore .i installed the new bulb . no blinking ! the running light is lit . the fuse looked fine to me . i replaced it anyway . is there a turn signal relay under the dash ?

If the turn signal indicator doesnt even light up, then i would double check the power supply at the fuses, then the combination unit.(relay)

graphic

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
WHERE IS THE COMBINATION UNIT LOCATED ? I JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK . IT WAS A REPOSSESION . I HAVE NO HISTORY WITH IT . IT HAS A CAMPER SHELL WITH TRIRD BRAKE LIGHT ASSEMBLY . IT ALSO HAS TRAILER LIGHT WIRING . I FEEL THERE IS A SHORT SOMWHERE . I HATE TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER . WHO WOULD BE THE BEST RUNNING DOWN ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ?

Its located just to the left of the steering column, under the dash.

If you think there is a problem in the trailer wiring it could be a problem trying to isolate the cause.

All you can do is start by disconnecting any trailer harness to start with, because it will feed into the rest of the system.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
MY TRUSTY AMMETER SAYS I HAVE 11 VOLTS AT THE FUSE . I CAN HEAR THE COM UNIT CLICKING . I GUESS I WILL REPLACE IT . IF THAT DOSENT WORK I SUPPOSE I WILL GO GET REEMED AT THE GARAGE ! THANKS FOR YOU TIME !

lol,,,no need for reaming,,,

You should be using a voltmeter instead of an Amp meter,,,thats probably what ya meant :-)

Change the combination flasher, if the wiring is not shorted, ya just saved a reaming!!

Best of luck my friend.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!