Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

Dodge 440: motor home..slowly..noise out of exhaust & then thru carb

Dodge 440 in a 1976 Apollo Motorhome. Starts, accelerates slowly but will build up to 60 - 70 MPH. Runs about 10 to 15 miles & then starts popping noise out of exhaust & then thru carb. Goes slower & slower until popping thru carb increases & then just shuts off. It will restart but as soon as put in gear it stalls. Wait several hours, it will restart & go but then repeats the same cycle. ????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Steve replied 9 years ago.

The symptoms you describe are suggestive of a lean misfire condition. You may want to check fuel pressure and volume; it is possible you may have a faulty fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, or an internal carburetor issue.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Steve thanks for your reply. The 440 just had a new fuel pump installed - - do not know if they checked fuel pressure. The last time it quit I crawled under there to look for a fuel filter. I followed the fuel line from the carb to the rear fuel tank but found no filter. The line had been replaced from the carb back to the solenoid that switches tanks & from there back to the tank it is steel. I did not look at the side tank up on the left side. The previous owner had just replaced the Thermoquad with an aftermarket Edlebrock. Perhaps it is a carb problem. Unless you have some other thoughts?