Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

What type of coolant do I put in a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 2WD?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 9 years ago.

Brand is up to you:

DO NOT mix green colored coolant with orange colored coolant.

PREFERRED MIXTURE
The required ethylene-glycol (antifreeze) and water mixture depends upon the climate and vehicle operating conditions. The recommended mixture of 60/50 ethylene-glycol and water will provide protection against freezing to -37°C (-35°F) . The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion. Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7°C (-90°F) . A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat because the specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: I'm not sure what color coolant was in it previously as the coolant reservour is now empty. I was just wondering if I could purchase any premixed coolant at the local Canadian Tire (automotive/hardware store).
Yes, as long as it meets the ethylene-glycol type.