Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

What causes Low Tire Pressure indicator to come on when tires are

What causes Low Tire Pressure indicator to come on when tires are all at proper levels?   After installing new tires 1 year ago, I began having problems with Low Tire indicator coming on. I Took it to Authorized dealer 5 Times. Each time, they re-trained the computer and said it works now. After driving sometimes immediately, sometimes a day or two later, indicator comes on again. They say the computer checks okay and the air pressure is okay. Should be no reason why it should not work. At last appointment they left me with the words, "The light is off now."   I picked up the vehicle and it said "Two Tires not inflated properly" immediately. Then it said one tire low air, one tire over inflated.   
Any ideas.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
Have you had any one actually take the tires off the rims and check whether the sensors at the valve where damaged when new tires put on?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No.   That has not been done.   I do not understand the operation of Tire sensors, but if there are sensors at the Valve, or someplace in the tire, that seems to me like it would be the culprit since the problem began after buying new tires and having them installed.   I'm surprised the dealer can't figure that out.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 years ago.
yse, there are sensors located on the inside of the tire on the valve stem. If they are damaged or even turned they can cause problems. I would suggest going back to where the tires were purchased and have them break the tires down and check for damage. If the technician wasnt told by the service advisor at the dealership that the problem started after new tires were put on he probalbe didnt think of checking them.

If this answer helps please hit the ACCEPT BUTTON or ask for more help. Positive feedback is appreciated.