vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT: the check engine light..intermittently

I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT that I bought last Fall. It currently has around 64000 miles, and since February, the check engine light has been coming off and on intermittently. It will go off if I do the 50 "off and on's " with the ignition, and stay off for anywhere from 1 to 2 months...then back on. It showed me Code p0138 for a long time, which I know is the O2 Sensor. I'm getting ready for a long trip next week, so had an LOF yesterday and the light turned off. (I plan to replace the O2 sensors when I return)
Things were fine and no light on until I went in to town today. The Check engine light popped back on as I was starting out of town and now it shows P2097. What is that and should I have it checked out first thing on Monday ? I'd really rather not be worrying about it on the road, but otoh, if it can wait, I'd rather do that til a week from Monday. Thanks for your answer.

Good evening, the code found p2097 is 1/2 O2 sensor rich(downstream- below the catalytic converter). Your previous code is related to the same o2 sensor. I would recommend replcaing the o2 sensor then go from there. If it returns then you will have to start testing the wiring. I would recommend changing the o2 sensor now if you are able to. It is simple to replace and easy to get to. The trip would be a good chance after the repair to see if it returns with the number of miles you would be driving.

1 - OXYGEN SENSOR CONNECTOR
2 - CATALYTIC CONVERTER
3 - DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR
4 - ENGINE HARNESS CONNECTOR

It can have an effect on engine performance and fuel economy. So the sooner you replace it the better. I dont believe it will leave you stranded on the road anyway by any means so I wouldnt worry about that if you arent able to replace it right away before the trip. If you need more help or have more questions then let me know and I will help you further.

Yes there are more than one o2 sensor but your codes are directly related to the 1/2 o2 sensor so I recommend only replacing that sensor only.