AutotechAL, Master Auto Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep tech from 1982-2005,Master ASE Status.Currently an automotive tech. instructor

How do I wire a seperate horn button for my car

Customer Question

My horn is stuck and I bought a button horn from advance auto but I don't know how to wire it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AutotechAL replied 9 years ago.

hi ris, Most simply put,all the horn switch does is complete the ground path to the horn relay.When the relay terminal (usually # XXXXX) is grounded,the relay is energized and the horn "beeps".A wire(don't know what year or model your car is so I can't give specific color)runs from the horn relay ,up the steering column to the horn switch.The other side of the switch is connected to the steering wheel which should be grounded through the steering column.When you push the horn button you basically connect these 2 wires and in turn connect that relay terminal to a ground source.Probably the easiest way to wire your switch is to find that wire that goes into the steering column and cut it at the base of the column.Connect a wire from the relay side of the cut wire to your new switch.The other terminal of your new switch simply must be connected to a ground source(ANY piece of metal under the dash).Now when you push your new switch you will be sending a ground through the new switch to the horn relay.If in the future you decide to put the system back how to original condition,you could simply reconnect the wire you cut to the column.

Good Luck,if you give me more info as to year and model of car,I can possibly tell you what color the wire is that you need to cut. Please click the "accept" button to verify that I answered your question. Thanks, AL