Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Were is the starter for a 1998 plymouth breeze its a 2.

Customer Question

were is the starter for a 1998 plymouth breeze its a 2.0 liter 16 valve engine
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 7 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

2.0L DOHC Engine

See Figure 4

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the starter motor electrical connections.

3. Remove the starter motor mounting bolts and remove the starter.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Exploded view of the starter motor mounting-2.0L engine

To install:

1. Clean both surfaces of the starter motor flange and the rear plate. This is important since the starter grounds through its case and the transaxle flange to which it attached. Some remanufactured starters may have paint on these areas which should be cleaned off before installation. Install the starter motor onto the transaxle and secure with the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

2. Attach the electrical harness connectors to the starter.

3. Connect the negative battery cable and check the starter for proper operation.

2.0L SOHC Engine With Manual Transaxle

See Figures 4 and 5

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with a insulator grommet which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.

2. Remove the air cleaner resonator.

3. Remove the positive battery cable retaining nut from the starter.

4. Disconnect the positive battery cable and alternator output wire from the starter.

5. Disconnect the push-on solenoid connector from the starter.

6. Remove the 2 bolts that attach the starter to the transaxle.

7. Remove the starter from the vehicle.

Fig. 5: Starter motor wiring terminal connections-2.0L engine

To install:

1. Install the starter and the attaching bolts to the transaxle assembly.

2. Tighten the attaching bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

Clean all dirt and/or corrosion from the wire terminals before reconnecting the wiring to the solenoid.

1. Reconnect the push-on solenoid connector to the starter.

2. Reconnect the alternator output wire and positive battery cable to the starter and tighten the retaining nut to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

3. Install the air cleaner resonator.

4. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you very much that was the problem it was the starter i changed it thanks a million

You are very welcome!

Thanks for asking!