Roy Colquitt
Roy Colquitt, Dodge owner/mechanic for 35 years
Experience:  Mechanic-ed for 40 years, Own OBDII test equipment and maintain trouble shooting subscriptions.

2001 Dodge Stratus: removing..Sedan..the pulley is..crankshaft

Hello, I need help with removing a harmonic balancer on 2001 Dodge Stratus (Sedan,2.4L DOHC, Auto). I removed the pass side motor mount to lower the engine but the pulley is still against the frame and will not come off the crankshaft. i also broke a piece off the balancer with a 3 jaw puller. it seems i have to pull the motor out but i am hoping i don't have to. i appreciate any advice. I am changing the timing belt by the way.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Roy Colquitt replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA,

Replacing A Timing Belt On An OHC Engine

Disconnect the negative cable from the battery prior to removing and replacing the timing belt.

Carefully remove the timing cover. Be careful not to distort or damage it while pulling it up. With the cover removed, check the immediate area around the belt for wires and other obstacles. If some are found, move them out of the way.

Align the timing marks on the camshaft's sprocket with the mark on the cylinder head. If the marks are not obvious, use a paint stick or chalk to clearly mark them.

Carefully remove the crankshaft timing sensor and probe holder.

Loosen the adjustment bolt on the belt tensioner pulley. It is normally not necessary to remove the tensioner assembly.

Slide the belt off the crankshaft sprocket. Do not allow the crankshaft pulley to rotate while doing this.

Art courtesty of Delmar - Thomson Learning.

To remove the belt from the engine, the crankshaft pulley must be removed. Then the belt can be slipped off the crankshaft sprocket.

After the belt has been removed, inspect it for cracks and other damage. Cracks will become more obvious if the belt is twisted slightly. Any defects in the belt indicate it must be replaced.

To begin reassembly, place the belt around the crankshaft sprocket. Then reinstall the crankshaft pulley.

Make sure the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley are lined up with the marks on the engine block. If they are not, carefully rock the crankshaft until the marks are lined up.

With the timing belt fitted onto the crankshaft sprocket and the crankshaft pulley tightened in place, the crankshaft timing sensor and probe can be reinstalled.

Align the camshaft sprocket with the timing marks on the cylinder head. Then wrap the timing belt around the camshaft sprocket and allow the belt tensioner to put a slight amount of pressure on the belt.

Adjust the tension as described in the service manual. Then rotate the engine two complete turns. Recheck the tension.

Rotate the engine through two complete turns again, then check the alignment marks on the camshaft and the crankshaft. Any deviation needs to be corrected before the timing cover is reinstalled.

To remove the harmonic balancer, the cylinder head and timing cover must be removed and the piston should be at top dead center (TDC).

• Install the vibration damper by pounding it on, or use a special installation tool.
  • Generally, the damper is installed unit it bottoms out against the oil slinger and the timing sprocket.
  • If in doubt, install the water pump and pulley, and then pound the damper into place until its pulley aligns with the water pump pulley.
  • It is advisable to use the installation tool, because pounding on the damper can cause stress on the crank thrust bearing surface.
  • It is best to stand the engine block on end and support the crankshaft if the damper must be pounded on.
  • Some vibration dampers are not pressed-fit on the crankshaft.
  • Be sure to install a large washer behind the damper retaining bolt on these engines; otherwise, the damper might fly off, causing damage and a safety hazard.

Experience: Mechanic-ed for 40 years, Own OBDII test equipment and maintain trouble shooting subscriptions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi thanks for the info but i still have one problem. The crankshaft pulley will not come off. There is no more room to slide the pulley off the crank because it is against the frame and i tried to lower the pass side of the engine to clear the frame but the engine does not lower enough. I really do not want to pull the motor What do you suggest or what am I doing wrong? Thanks

I am sorry but to remove it the motor/trans will have to be lowered as an assembly. There is no other way I know of to get the required clearance. The balancer doesn't normally have to come off to change the belt. I hate that a piece got broke off.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok so i can still change the belt without having to remove the balancer?

I have done some more research on this and it appears that the damper does have to come off. Everything indicates that if you remove the splash shield on that side it should have clearance to come off. If you can get a 3 jaw puller on it there should be room to get it off. Hope this helps.