Chrysler man
Chrysler man, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Dodge products

2000 Dodge Intrepid (125K miles) check engine code (340) ...

2000 Dodge Intrepid (125K miles) check engine code (340) indicates bad crank sensor. Any idea how much to repair and is this something I can do myself and where is it located. Thanks, Bob
What is the exact code number?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Chrysler man's Post: According to the guy it come up as 340 Cam Sensor. Sorry I can't tell you more. Bob
There are 4 different engines available for that car. I need the 8th digit of the VIN# XXXXX know which one you have.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It is a 2.7 Ltr. V6. The Vin is 2B3HD46R5YH159867.

I suspected that but there are 3 different 2.7s available for that car.

The code doesn't automatically mean the sensor is bad. It indicates there is no cam sensor signal so a wiring problem will do the same thing.

The Camshaft Position Sensor is mounted in the front of the timing case cover. It is a hall effect device. It's held in by one bolt and very easy to change.