Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

I need to replace a PCM on my 2004 Dodge Stratus can ...

Customer Question

I need to replace a PCM on my 2004 Dodge Stratus can you give me directions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Here is the information you requested. If this answers your question, please click my accept button to complete payment of the amount you ahve offered fdor assistance...

________________________

I can provide the replacement procedure for you, but you are going to need a DRB-III scan tool with programming capability to install the software in the new ECM and configure it to the vehicle (to enter the vehicle's VIN number into the module, configure pinion factor, program SKIM/ security, and perform idle relearn for example). Without a DRB-III to complete the programming porocess the vehicle is not going to start or run properly after the new module is installed...

For this reason you may want to take the vehicle in to either a Dodge dealer or to an independent repaqir shop with the necessary programming equipment to have this job performed.

You may also be interested in kn owing that your vehicle was recalled for ECM and ECm electrical connector problems. You may wish to call the Dodge dealer and give them your VIN number so tehy can check to see if the recall campaign has been eprfromed on your vehicle yet. If not, you can get a new ECM installed there for free under the recall if it has not already been done.

I have posted the owner's notification letter you should have received below, if you are interested.

graphic

Here is the repalcement procedure if you still want to attempt this yourself. You should be aware that if youa ttempt any kind of repairs yourself, it will likely void the recall warranty coverage on the vehicle if anything is damaged in the process...

___________________________

The PCM engine control strategy prevents reduced idle speeds until after the engine operates for 320 km (200 miles) . If the PCM is replaced after 320 km (200 miles) of usage, update the mileage and vehicle identification number (VIN) in the new PCM. Use the DRBIII(R) scan tool to change the mi 11 age and VIN in the PCM. If this step is not done a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) may be set and SKIM must be done or car will not start if it is a SKIM equipped car. If a SKIM car you must do a secret key transfer also.

To avoid possible voltage spike damage to PCM, ignition key must be off, and the negative battery cable must be disconnected before unplugging the PCM connectors. Note radio programs

Disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate

1. Remove the 2 nuts holding the PCM and Bracket.
  2. Unlock and disconnect the electrical connectors at the PCM.
  3. Remove the 3 fasteners holding the PCM to the bracket.

INSTALLATION

1. Install PCM to bracket.
  2. Install PCM and bracket to vehicle and connect the electrical connectors and lock connectors.
  3. Install the 2 nuts and tighten.
  4. Connect negative battery cable and reprogram radio and clock.
  5. Using DRBIII(R) scan tool, program mileage and vehicle identification number (VIN) into PCM.

graphic

PROGRAMMING THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Important Note: Before replacing the PCM for a failed driver, control circuit or ground circuit, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM driver/control circuit failures are caused by internal failure to components (i.e. 12-volt pull-ups, drivers and ground sensors). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one DTC has set.

NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, program the VIN into the PCM first. All vehicle keys will then need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM.

The SKIS Secret Key is an I.D. code that is unique to each SKIS. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, engine controller and transponder chip (ignition key). When replacing the PCM it is necessary to program the secret key into the PCM.

NOTE: After replacing the PCM, you must reprogram pinion factor.

1. Turn the ignition on (transmission in park/ neutral).
  2. Use the DRBIII(R) and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.
  3. Select PCM REPLACED.
  4. Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN. NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter the secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the run position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned oft. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).
  5. Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM Will send the secret key to the PCM).

Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.

Good morning;

I cannot help but notice that you have not yet acepted the answer i provided for your question... is there some way I can be of further assistance? If so, please let me know; if not, then please click my accept button to complete payment of the amount you have offered for assistance with this question... thanks!