Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2003 Dodge Ram 1500: Quad Cab..block..the check engine light comes

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab with a 4.7L V8 engine. I had a problem (ran out of oil) with the engine, and it would not turn over, so I bought a new short block from a dealer in Florida, shipped it to Jamaica and replaced it. Now, when I start the engine, the check engine light comes on and shows the following codes - P0108 and P0113. Also the engine is idling very roughly - it sounds like a dog panting! However, the rev counter is steady at 1000 rpm. Can someone please help me!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 years ago.

Hello there!

Thanks for requesting me, let me look up some info on those codes and i'll be right back.

The codes refer to the MAP sensor and the Intake air temp sensor. Both are common to fail, but one could trigger the other to set a code. They only way to test each individual sensor is with a scan tool. If you want to do it trial and error, start with the MAP sensor first, neither one is real terribly expensive, so if it's in Jamaica, you might want to get them both.

That should straighten out the engine as well, because they both directly affect it.

If you have further questions on this, please feel free to reply.

If not, please click the Accept button.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Virtual Wrench's Post: I will have my mechanic check both sensors with a scan tool and let you know the results this afternoon. Unfortunately, in Jamaica neither of these sensors is available, so I may have to bring them in from Miami if they are defective. Is it likely that they both could have failed?

The map sensor is more common to fail, but with electronics, you never know. If it was me, i would get them both just to be sure, it's a long drive for parts from there......

Let me know if ya need anything else.

i sure wish i was in Jamaica right about now...

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
apparently the map sensor has failed. would a map sensor from a different vehicle work? the oem replacement for the dodge is not available in jamaica and i wont be able to get a replacement until probably next week.

also, is there amother name for a map sensor? i went online and checked napa and advanced auto parts and did not see a map sensor listed....

That is the only name it goes by, but i dont think it will be available on the aftermarket. You are better off going with an oem one anyhow. As far as using one from another vehicle, i've never tried,so dont i know....