Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Here is the info from the factory service bulletin:
Date: Dec. 15, 2000
Models: 1998-2000 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING:
Discussion: This bulletin involves replacing broken/missing outside mirror glass.
It is no longer necessary to replace the entire mirror assembly when the mirror glass is broken or is missing. Mirror glass holders are now available from MOPAR. The following Repair Procedure provides instructions for mirror glass holder service.
Parts: (Ram Truck, Dakota, Ram Van, numbers - see dealer for other vehicles)
WARNING: ALWAYS WEAR EYE AND HAND PROTECTION WHEN SERVICING THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THESE WARNINGS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY FROM BROKEN GLASS.
RAM VAN, DAKOTA, RAM TRUCK, AND DURANGO
1. Carefully pull/pry the broken mirror glass holder from the mirror assembly.
NOTE: REPLACE THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY IF ANY DAMAGE IS IDENTIFIED ON THE MIRROR MOTOR HOUSING.
2. If equipped, disconnect the heated mirror wires from the terminals on the mirror glass holder.
CAUTION: IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS SQUARE TO THE GLASS HOLDER (ATTACHING FINGERS) PRIOR TO GLASS HOLDER ATTACHMENT, OTHERWISE THE GLASS HOLDER COULD BE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY CAUSING POOR RETENTION AND POSSIBLE REPEAT FAILURE.
3. Position the new mirror glass holder to the mirror housing assembly and if equipped, connect the heated mirror wires to the terminals on the back of the mirror glass.
NOTE: POSITION THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER SO THAT THE MOISTURE DRAIN HOLE ON THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER ASSEMBLY IS FACING DOWNWARD.
4. Align the mirror glass holder's attaching fingers to the mirror motor housing.
NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE PROTECTIVE RUBBER COVER OF THE MIRROR MOTOR HOUSING IS POSITIONED CORRECTLY AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE FINGERS AREA.
5. Using one hand, firmly press the mirror glass holder assembly into place while at the same time supporting the housing assembly from the backside with the other hand.
NOTE: PRESSURE MUST BE APPLIED EQUALLY OVER THE CENTER PORTION OF THE MIRROR TO ENGAGE THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER'S ATTACHING FINGERS TO THE CORRESPONDING FINGERS ON THE HOUSING ASSEMBLY. ONE OR MORE CLICKS MAY BE HEARD WHEN FINGER ENGAGEMENT TAKES PLACE. IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THE FINGERS ARE FULLY ENGAGED. PERFORM A FINAL RETENTION CHECK BY PUSHING ON THE MIRROR WITH YOUR HAND ONE ADDITIONAL TIME PRIOR TO RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER.
6. Verify retention of the mirror glass holder assembly by gently pulling outward on the mirror glass holder. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 if the mirror glass holder detaches from the mirror motor housing.
Let me know if you need further help or have more questions.