vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

How do I install a new mirror in the old housing

Customer Question

how do I install a new mirror in the old housing
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 9 years ago.
Good afternoon, in order to help you further, we will need to know what make, model, and year vehicle.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: 2000 dodge pick up ram 1500 driver side looks like it just snaps in but not that easy

Here is the info from the factory service bulletin:

Date: Dec. 15, 2000

Models: 1998-2000 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

1998 - 2000(AB)Ram Van/Wagon
1997 - 2000(AN)Dakota
1998 - 2001(BR/BE)Ram Truck
1998 - 2000(DN)Durango
1996 - 2000(NS)Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1998 - 2000(R1)Dakota (International)
2001(RS)Town & Country/CaravanNoyager

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING:

• RAM VAN/WAGON (AB) - 6X9 MIRRORS SALES CODE GPS OR GPU
  • DAKOTA (AN) - 6X9 MIRRORS SALES CODE GTS OR GT4
  • RAM TRUCK (BR/BE) - 6X9 MIRRORS SALES CODE GPS OR GPU
  • DURANGO (DN) - 6X9 MIRRORS SALES CODE GTS OR GT4
  • TOWN & COUNTRY/CARAVAN/VOYAGER (NS/RS) - SALES CODE GUM, GTL, GTS, OR GTN

Discussion:
This bulletin involves replacing broken/missing outside mirror glass.

It is no longer necessary to replace the entire mirror assembly when the mirror glass is broken or is missing. Mirror glass holders are now available from MOPAR. The following Repair Procedure provides instructions for mirror glass holder service.

Parts: (Ram Truck, Dakota, Ram Van, numbers - see dealer for other vehicles)

AR (1)05019890AAAssembly, Mirror/Glass Holder, Manual/Power, Right Side
AR (1)05019891AAAssembly, Mirror/Glass Holder, Manual/Power, Left Side
AR (1)05019892AAAssembly, Mirror/Glass Holder, Power Heated, Right Side
AR (1)05019893AAAssembly, Mirror/Glass Holder, Power Heated, Left Side

Repair:

This Repair is compatible with DaimlerChrysler's Mobile service program and
does not require hoists or other full service facility special equipment.

WARNING: ALWAYS WEAR EYE AND HAND PROTECTION WHEN SERVICING THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THESE WARNINGS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY FROM BROKEN GLASS.

RAM VAN, DAKOTA, RAM TRUCK, AND DURANGO

1. Carefully pull/pry the broken mirror glass holder from the mirror assembly.

NOTE: REPLACE THE MIRROR ASSEMBLY IF ANY DAMAGE IS IDENTIFIED ON THE MIRROR MOTOR HOUSING.

2. If equipped, disconnect the heated mirror wires from the terminals on the mirror glass holder.

CAUTION: IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THE MOTOR IS SQUARE TO THE GLASS HOLDER (ATTACHING FINGERS) PRIOR TO GLASS HOLDER ATTACHMENT, OTHERWISE THE GLASS HOLDER COULD BE INSTALLED INCORRECTLY CAUSING POOR RETENTION AND POSSIBLE REPEAT FAILURE.

3. Position the new mirror glass holder to the mirror housing assembly and if equipped, connect the heated mirror wires to the terminals on the back of the mirror glass.

NOTE: POSITION THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER SO THAT THE MOISTURE DRAIN HOLE ON THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER ASSEMBLY IS FACING DOWNWARD.

4. Align the mirror glass holder's attaching fingers to the mirror motor housing.

NOTE: ENSURE THAT THE PROTECTIVE RUBBER COVER OF THE MIRROR MOTOR HOUSING IS POSITIONED CORRECTLY AROUND THE BOTTOM OF THE FINGERS AREA.

5. Using one hand, firmly press the mirror glass holder assembly into place while at the same time supporting the housing assembly from the backside with the other hand.

NOTE: PRESSURE MUST BE APPLIED EQUALLY OVER THE CENTER PORTION OF THE MIRROR TO ENGAGE THE MIRROR GLASS HOLDER'S ATTACHING FINGERS TO THE CORRESPONDING FINGERS ON THE HOUSING ASSEMBLY. ONE OR MORE CLICKS MAY BE HEARD WHEN FINGER ENGAGEMENT TAKES PLACE. IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF THE FINGERS ARE FULLY ENGAGED. PERFORM A FINAL RETENTION CHECK BY PUSHING ON THE MIRROR WITH YOUR HAND ONE ADDITIONAL TIME PRIOR TO RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER.

6. Verify retention of the mirror glass holder assembly by gently pulling outward on the mirror glass holder. Repeat Steps 2 through 6 if the mirror glass holder detaches from the mirror motor housing.

Let me know if you need further help or have more questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
can you show me a picture of the parts, I think I am missing something on the housing
I will see if a picture is avail. You have to remove the old mirror and its plastic holder that it is made onto. Then you should see how it snaps in by looking at the back of the new one. I will do some more checking.
I checked and havent found any related images. The service manuals dont show anything other then what it sent you earlier. A couple of items, where did you purchase the replacment mirror glass ( dealer or parts store). Second if possible, you can attach pictures of what you have so that I can see exactly what we have. Thanks again
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I got it at the dealer,
Then all you should have to do is remove the old mirror glass portion by gently prying it out. Once it is removed, you line up the new glass and then press it in with even pressure making sure not to use too much force and break the glass.