marc
marc, Technician,Auto
Experience:  32 years exp. automotive repairs on all Chrysler products
44459

How do I remove drivers side door handle on a 1995 ...

How do I remove drivers side door handle on a 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT pickup. There are no screws.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  marc replied 7 years ago.

You have to remove the interior door panel and once it is removed then take the nuts and linkage off from the inside of the door.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

1. Remove the armrest.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Remove the screws securing the armrest

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Unscrew and remove the door handle-on this 1990 Pick-up, it is secured with a hex head screw

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Take note of the correct order of the parts removed

1. Remove the door handle screw and pull off the handle.

2. On models with manual windows, remove the window regulator handle screw and pull off the handle. If not fastened with a screw, slip a suitable door handle removal tool behind the handle and detach it from its mounting to the regulator.

3. On models with power windows, remove the power window switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Some door handles require a special tool for removal-1994-96 Pick-up type shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the door trim panel with a suitable panel separator tool

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Exploded view of the door panel mounting-1994-96 Pick-ups

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Some accessory switch controls will have to be removed prior to panel removal-1994-96 Pick-ups

1. On models with manual door locks, remove the door lock control. On models with power door locks, remove the power door lock switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Exploded view of the Dakota door trim panel mounting

1. On models with electric outside rear view mirrors, remove the power mirror switch housing.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Exploded view of the door trim panel mounting-150-350 series Pick-up and Ramcharger

1. Using a flat wood spatula, or equivalent tool, insert it carefully behind the panel and slide it along to find the push-pins. When you encounter a pin, pry the pin outward. Do this until all the pins are out. NEVER PULL ON THE PANEL TO REMOVE THE PINS!

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Exploded view of the rear door trim panel mounting

To install:

1. Install by positioning the panel on the door and pressing the pins into position.

2. On models with electric outside rear view mirrors, install the power mirror switch housing.

3. On models with manual door locks, install the door lock control.

4. On models with power door locks, install the power door lock switch housing.

5. On models with manual windows, install the window regulator handle.

6. On models with power windows, install the power window switch housing.

7. Install the door handle.

8. Install the armrest.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to marc's Post: The door handle I'm refering to is the exterior door handle. My problem is the wire rod (about size 8) from the handle to the latch came off at the handle. The window glass covers the handle and I cannot see where the rod fits into the handle. The plastic keeper holding the rod to the handle will be at the dealer tomorrow and I cannot find a manual that tells anything but says remove two screws and the handle lifts out. There are no screws. There is a wire (again about size 8) that encircles the handle on the inside and looks to be held in by a large plastic nut. I don't like to force things and cause more damage so that is why I'm asking the question.
Expert:  marc replied 7 years ago.
After removing the door panel roll the window up so you can get to the exterior door handle use a light and you will see the little tab that the rod conects to when you wiggle the door handle. (unless it is also broken off).
marc, Technician,Auto
Experience: 32 years exp. automotive repairs on all Chrysler products