vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

2004 DODGE: THE OIL PRESSURE AT IDEL SPEED IS 10 PSI..IDLES..SPEEDS

MY 2004 DODGE 2500 DIESEL TRUCK . THE OIL PRESSURE AT IDEL SPEED IS 10 PSI . AS LONG AS IT IDLES IT STAYS AT 10 PSI WHEN DRIVING NORMAL SPEEDS COMES UP AND KEEPS NORMAL 40 PSI .WHEN I NOTICE THE PROBLEM I CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER AGAIN . THE DEALER HAD CHANGED THE OIL PRYER TO SELLING ME THE TRUCK .THE OIL I PUT IS 15/40 ROTELLA T. I NOTICE THE OIL I TOOK OUT WAS VERY BLACK AND LOOKED A LITTLE THIN .NO FOAM. I NOTICE WHEN I FRIST START IT IN THE MORNING THE PRESSURE IN IDEL POSITION IS NORMAL 40 PSI BUT WHEN IT WARMS UP THE OIL PRESSURE DROPS TO 10 PSI IN IDEL POSITION. I DON'T THINK THIS PRESURE DIFFRENCE IS NORMAL . IT HAS 40,000 MILES . I ALSO HAVE A HORRIBLE SMELL .ITS LIKE STRONG BURNT DIESEL FUMES . IT EVEN SMELLS IN CAB AT TIMES . I JUST BOUGHT THIS TRUCK FROM DEALER . I AM NOT TO HAPPY. I STILL HAVE WARRANTY ON IT. I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD BRING IT IN OR IS THIS NORMAL FOR 2004 2500 DIESEL.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 7 years ago.

Good evening:

I did some checking and found a related technical service bulletin concerning oil pressure for you truck. There is a software update avail. It covers multiple concerns and even adds water in fuel feature that was never activated previously.

Date: July 13, 2006

THE DRBIII FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN ARE AVAILABLE ON DealerCONNECT.

Models: 2003 - 2005 (DR / DH) Ram Truck

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L turbo diesel engine (sales codes ETC and ETH respectively).

Overview:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Engine Control Module
(ECM) with new software.

Symptom/Condition:
The following enhancements are included with this software:

1. Improved engine cooling (radiator fan activation) and prevention of possible engine
    overheat. When coolant temperature faults are present the radiator fan is enabled
    (turned on) during vehicle operation.
  2. Correction to oil pressure reading when engine is operating at higher engine
    temperatures above 91°C (195°F).
  3. Improvement to the Temperature Sensor Rationality Test to prevent possible false
    test failures and their following related Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)-
    a. DTC P0071 - Inlet Air Temperature Sensor Rationality.
    b. DTC P0111 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Rationality.
    c. DTC P0514 - Battery Temperature Sensor Rationality.
  4. Additional Water-in-Fuel (WIF) warning added to indicate that the operator has had a
    WIF DTC P2269 and has continued to operate (drive) the vehicle in excess of 500
    miles without draining the water from the fuel filter. The following is the new WIF DTC
    that has been added:
    a. DTC P0169 - WIF Too Long Error

Here are the factory oil pressure specs as well:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING-ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

1. Remove the 1/8 npt plug from the top of the oil filter housing.
  2. Install Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool C-3292 with a suitable adapter.
  3. Start engine and warm to operating temperature.
  4. Record engine oil pressure and compare with engine oil pressure chart.

CAUTION: If engine oil pressure is zero at idle, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE.

Engine Oil Pressure (MIN)
    At Idle 68.9 kPa (10 psi)
    At 2500 rpm 206.9 kPa (30 psi)

5. Remove oil pressure gauge and install the 1/8 npt plug.

The 10psi at idle is normal. Let me know if you need further info

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HOW DO I GET ON DEALER CONNECT TO REVIEW THE BULLETINS . MAYBE I CAN SEE IF MY TRUCK IS INCLUDED IN THIS REPAIR FREE OF CHARGE
This bulletin is free while the vehicle is under warranty. It isn't a recall. As far as getting on dealer connect, only factory or dealership personal have access to this website. To be sure if the bulletin can be done on yours depends on if it has been done already. To be sure, the dealer would retrieve your engine controller software number and check to see if it has an update available for it. All the info about the tsb is listed above, the rest pertains to the procedure on flashing the engine controller. Let me know if I can help you further.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: what do you mean this bulletin is avalible on
dealer connect. tell how to view this bulletin. what is the website.

I dont understand why you insist on accessing a website that you are not allowed to access. It is for factory and dealership personnel only. It is a secure web site. I have given you all the info about the bulletin, there isnt anything else to give you. The bulletin is in the first reply. All you need to do is go to the dealer and have it performed. Once again, here it the bulletin including all the info about how to perform it which the dealer needs to do. The excact number is XXXXX

Date: July 13, 2006

Models: 2003 - 2005 (DR / DH) Ram Truck

Overview:
(ECM) with new software.

Symptom/Condition:

(turned on) during vehicle operation.
    temperatures above 91°C (195°F).
    that has been added:
    a. DTC P0169 - WIF Too Long Error

Diagnosis:
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are
present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding
further with this bulletin.

If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

Special Tools/Equipment Required:

NPN Battery Charger
CH2002 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable Assembly
CH6000A Scan Tool (DRBIII)
CH7000AJ1962 Cable with red DRBIII connector
TechCONNECT Workstation

NOTE: An updated J1962 cable has been released. This cable has a red colored connector
at the DRBIII connection. Use this cable whenever a flash is being performed.

Repair Procedure:

NOTE: Whenever a controller is programmed, the software in the DRBIII must be programmed
with the latest revision level available.

NOTE: If this flash process is interrupted/aborted, the flash process should be restarted and
then follow the directions on the DRBIII.

NOTE: Remove any unnecessary PCMCIA cards prior to starting a DRBIII flash.
1. Before beginning the reprogramming procedure, remove any old flash reprogramming
files from the DRBIII memory. To clear the memory from the MAIN MENU power up
the DRBIII and then:
a. Simultaneously press the "MORE" and "YES" keys.
b. A screen will appear requesting a "COLD BOOT"R.
c. Follow the on screen instructions by selecting the "F4" key.
d. When the DRBIII reboots to the MAIN MENU, proceed to Step #2
2.With the ignition switch in the "RUN" position, determine and record the "ECM part
number" of the ECM currently in the vehicle. Using the DRBIII select:
a. "DRBIII Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2007 Diagnostics"
c. All (Except Below)"
d. "Engine"
a. "Module Display"
f. Record the "ECM part number on the repair order for later reference.
NOTE. If the ECM is not operational, the "ECM part number, can be obtained from the label
on the controller. For 2003 and later vehicles, If the label on the controller is not legible,
record the "Reference No." for use later. The "Reference No." Is located in the Reference No.
box at the top, center of the Engine Data Plate (Fig. 1). Do not use the reference number
shown in the figure. The Engine Data Plate is located on the intake side of the breather cover
or affixed to the APPS bracket.

FIGURE 1 - ENGINE DATA PLATE

1- ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER
2- REFERENCE NUMBER
3- DATE OF ENGINE MANUFACTURE
3.Page back to the "Main Menu"
4.Determine if the vehicle is equipped with SKIM. Using the DRBIII select:
a. "DRBIII Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2007 Diagnostics
c. "All"
d. "System Monitor"
e. "JI850 Module Scan"
f. Look for "SKIM" in the list of modules.
5.If the vehicle is not equipped with SKIM then proceed to Step #6. If the vehicle is
equipped with SKIM obtain the vehicle Personal Identification Number (PIN) before
continuing with Step #6. This information is available from:
a. The original selling invoice.
b. The DealerCONNECT system under the "Parts" tabs - select "Key Codes".
c. By contacting the District Manager.
CAUTION: Failure to install the SKIM pin number into the module after flashing the
Cummins ECM will cause a start and stall condition.
6.Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides approximately
13.2 - 13.8 volts. Set the battery charger to continuous charge. Do not allow the
charger to time out during the flash process. Remove the charger from the battery
when the flash process is complete.

NOTE: When reprogramming a Cummins ECM be sure to do the following:

• Download the flash file from TechCONNECT to the DRBIII with the
    DRBIII disconnected from the vehicle.
  • Download the flash file from the DRBIII to the vehicle with the DRBIII
    disconnected from TechCONNECT.
7.Connect the DRBIII to TechCONNECT. Open TechTOOLS and verify that the
"DRBIII Status: Connected" message is in the upper right comer of the TechTOOLS screen.
8.Enter the old Cummins "ECM part number" obtained from the DRBIII in Step #2 into
the "Parts Criteria" window.
9.Select "Show Updates".
10.Highlight the proper flash file from the list:
a. If the old "ECM part number" is known, highlight the flash file listed, based on the
old 'ECM part number" recorded earlier Step #2.
b. If the old part number is XXXXX known, highlight the proper flash file based on the
Reference No. located in the "Ref, No." box, at the top, center of the Engine
Data Plate (Fig, 1).
11.Select the "DRBI III" radio button which is next to the "Download/Update" button.
12.Select the "Download/Update" button.
13.Monitor the "Flash Download/Update Progress" window on the TechCONNECT
and follow the instructions on TechCONNECT. When the flash process is complete,
proceed to the next step.
14.Disconnect the DRBIII from TechCONNECT.
15.Connect the DRBIII to the vehicle.
16.Download the flash file from the DRBIII to the vehicle. Using the DRBIII select:
a. "Vehicle Flash"
b. Follow the directions on the DRBIII screen. When the flash process is complete,
proceed to the next step.
17.If the vehicle is equipped with SKIM, proceed to Step #18. If the vehicle is not
equipped with SKIM, proceed to Step #19.
18.On vehicles equipped with SKIM, transfer the VIN and Security Key information from
the SKIM to the ECM. Using the DRBIII select:
a. "DRBIII Standalone"
b. "1998 - 2007 Diagnostics"
c. "All"
d. 'Theft Alarm'
e. "SKIM"
f. "Miscellaneous'
g. "Cummins ECM Replaced"
h. Follow the directions on the DRBIII screen. When the process is complete,
proceed to Step #20
19.On vehicles not equipped with SKIM, manually enter the VIN In the EGM. Using the
DRBIII select:
a. "DRBIII Standalone'
b "1998 - 2007 Diagnostics"
c. "All"
d. "Engine"
e. "Cummins Controller (ECM/ENGINE)"
f. "Miscellaneous"
g. "CM84X Check VIN"
proceed to next step.

NOTE: Due to the Cummins controller programming procedure, a DTC may be set in
other modules (PCM, TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, etc.) within the vehicle, if so equipped.
Some DTC's may cause the MIL to illuminate. Check all modules using "Module Scan",
record the DTC'S, and erase these DTC's prior to returning the vehicle to the customer.
Erase any DTC's In the PCM only after all other modules have had their DTC's erased.

NOTE: The following step is required by law.

20.Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Modification Label" p/n 04275086AB and attach near the VECI label (Fig. 2).

FIGURE 2 - AUTHORIZED MODIFICATION LABEL

1 - ENGINE CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 - CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XXX-XX
3 - DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 - DATE: XX-XX-XX

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:

Labor Operation No: DescriptionAmount
8-19-04-16Erase and Reprogram - Engine Control Module
(ECM) (B)
0.8 Hrs.

Failure Code:

ZZ Service Action

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified