vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

2005 Dodge Durango: fog lamps..pull..the front bumper cover

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango. One of the fog lamps was shattered by a rock. The dealer is telling me that inorder to replace it they will haave to pull the front bumper cover to access the light. Do you have another way to replace the light?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 9 years ago.

Good morning.

The dealer is correct on this one, I did some checking and the front bumper cover has to be removed. Here is what the service manual states:

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Reach under and behind the front fascia to access the front fog lamp housing (4) on the back of the front bumper support (2).
  3. Disconnect the wire harness connector from the fog lamp bulb connector receptacle.
  4. Remove the front fascia from the front bumper support.
  5. Unscrew the adjustment screw (1) at the top of the fog lamp until it is disengaged from the bumper support.
  6. Insert a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, between either side of the lamp and the side of the lamp seat in the bumper support.
  7. Carefully pry the pivot pin on either side of the lamp out of its receptacle in the stanchion (3) within the seat of the bumper support.
  8. Remove the lamp from the bumper support.

In step 4 it mentions removing the front bumper cover. If you wish I can get you the steps to remove the front bumpr cover if you wish to perform this repair yourself. Let me know.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to vipertech763's Post: Yes, please send the info on removing the front bumper cover.

Hang tight and I will get it to you shortly. Thanks for replying back

Here is the process for removing the front bumper cover:

1. Remove the grille.
  2. Remove the push pin fasteners and remove the upper radiator shroud.
  3. Remove the upper bolts (1) and separate the four side clips.
  4. From underneath, remove the push pins (3) and remove the grille.

1. Remove the headlamps.
  2. Gain access to rear of headlamps by removing the accss panels in the fender well linings. Once removed you gain access to the nut that holds the assembly to sheet metal. The from the front remove the bolt from the lower edge of headlamp assembly just above front bumper cover. Then grasp firmly and pull in order to disengage the ball mount from the socket.
  3. Remove the wheel well screws (1) and (2).

4. Release the upper tabs (1) and remove the fascia.

5. Remove the screws (4) and remove the air dam (3).

Let me know if you need further info