Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 sebring: o2 sensor..bank 1 sensor 2..bank 2 sensor..burning oil

2004 sebring 2.7, code p0138, then 137 ocasionally 157 158 152. changed o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1, bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 still get the code and occasionally a wiff of burning oil , customer is furious, just bought it. 70,0000 miles on car, no other problems.,
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Greetings!

Code P 0137-Right downstream oxygen sensor O2-12 signal voltage was under1.5 volts. Enabling conditions: Engine running less than 30 seconds with O2 heater temperature predicted to be 705° F. Blocking action: The following monitors: Fuel Control, O2, O2 heater, Catalyst efficiency, Misfire, canister purge and EGR.

Testing: Check the oxygen sensor voltage at start up. The PCM sends a 5 volt bias signal that should be present until the sensor starts to warm up. Check for a short to O2 heater power. If voltage remains low it is a shorted sensor or a short to ground in the signal circuit.

Code P 0138-Right downstream oxygen sensor O2-12 signal voltage was over 3.7 volts. Enabling conditions: Engine running less than 30 seconds with O2 heater temperature predicted to be 1085° F. Blocking action: The following monitors: Catalyst efficiency.

Testing: Check the oxygen sensor voltage at start up. The PCM sends a 5 volt bias signal that should be present until the sensor starts to warm up. Check for a short to O2 heater power. If voltage remains high for over 60 seconds it is likely a heater or heater circuit problem. See Diagram 2003-2.7L VIN J, M, R Concord & Intrepid Catalyst Monitor

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am a small used car dealer , dont have sophisticated equipment, I thank you for your quick response, I did in stall new ox sensors at bank 1 sen 1 bank 1 sen 2 and bank 2 sen 2 .. should this correct the voltage problems or is there a sperate heater . also, since i am not a full time mechanic it may be beyond my expertice to check the voltage as you mention, can this be done with a volt ohm meter and second, (duh) how whould i check for 02 power. does it sound as if i am ignorant of detail troubleshooting ... I m, just was hoping this would be a parts swap. let me know. Thank, John
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

No! You have a very valid question!

Check for power at the o2 sensor connectors with the key on. Also check for the 5 volt bias voltage from the computer (on start up) on the signal wire to the o2 sensor.

If you need a wiring diagram, let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks so much, a diagram would work for me. I believe the answer you gave me last, is doable from my end, I'll try it... if not, the local dodge dealer said they do have an openig today (miracle!) thanks again I'm sure now that I found this site it wil be used often. PS u dont have a shop near sidney, ohio do you? lol.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

No. :) Here is your diagram.

graphic

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Here is some more info for you!

The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the outlet pipe at the rear of the catalytic convertor.

OPERATION
For SBEC vehicles a single sensor ground is used for all 4 O2 sensors (6 Cyl.). A separate upstream and downstream grounds are used on the NGC vehicles (4 Cyl.).

As vehicles accumulate mileage, the catalytic convertor deteriorates. The deterioration results in a less efficient catalyst. To monitor catalytic convertor deterioration, the fuel injection system uses two heated oxygen sensors. One sensor upstream of the catalytic convertor, one downstream of the convertor. The PCM compares the reading from the sensors to calculate the catalytic convertor oxygen storage capacity and converter efficiency. Also, the PCM uses the upstream heated oxygen sensor input when adjusting injector pulse width.

When the catalytic converter efficiency drops below emission standards, the PCM stores a diagnostic trouble code and illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL ).

The O2 sensors produce voltages from 0 to 1 volt (this voltage is offset by a constant 2.5 volts on NGC vehicles), depending upon the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. When a large amount of oxygen is present (caused by a lean air/fuel mixture, can be caused by misfire and exhaust leaks), the sensors produces a low voltage. When there is a lesser amount of oxygen present (caused by a rich air/fuel mixture, can be caused by internal engine problems) it produces a higher voltage. By monitoring the oxygen content and converting it to electrical voltage, the sensors act as a rich-lean switch.

The oxygen sensors are equipped with a heating element that keeps the sensors at proper operating temperature during all operating modes. Maintaining correct sensor temperature at all times allows the system to enter into closed loop operation sooner. Also, it allows the system to remain in closed loop operation during periods of extended idle.

In Closed Loop operation the PCM monitors the O2 sensors input (along with other inputs) and adjusts the injector pulse width accordingly. During Open Loop operation the PCM ignores the O2 sensor input. The PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on preprogrammed (fixed) values and inputs from other sensors.

1.6L Siemens controller and SBEC controller - The Automatic Shutdown (ASD ) relay supplies battery voltage to both the upstream and downstream heated oxygen sensors. The oxygen sensors are equipped with a heating element. The heating elements reduce the time required for the sensors to reach operating temperature. The PCM uses pulse width modulation to control the ground side of the heater to regulate the temperature on 4 cyl. upstream O2 heater only.

NGC Controller - Has a common ground for the heater in the O2S. 12 volts is supplied to the heater in the O2S by the NGC controller. Both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors for NGC are pulse width modulation (PWM).

UPSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR
The input from the upstream heated oxygen sensor tells the PCM the oxygen content of the exhaust gas. Based on this input, the PCM fine tunes the air-fuel ratio by adjusting injector pulse width.

The sensor input switches from 0 to 1 volt , depending upon the oxygen content of the exhaust gas in the exhaust manifold (this is offset by 2.5 voltage on NGC vehicles). When a large amount of oxygen is present (caused by a lean air-fuel mixture), the sensor produces voltage as low as 0.1 volt . When there is a lesser amount of oxygen present (rich air-fuel mixture) the sensor produces a voltage as high as 1.0 volt . By monitoring the oxygen content and converting it to electrical voltage, the sensor acts as a richlean switch.

The heating element in the sensor provides heat to the sensor ceramic element. Heating the sensor allows the system to enter into closed loop operation sooner. Also, it allows the system to remain in closed loop operation during periods of extended idle.

In Closed Loop, the PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on the upstream heated oxygen sensor input along with other inputs. In Open Loop, the PCM adjusts injector pulse width based on preprogrammed (fixed) values and inputs from other sensors.

DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR
The downstream heated oxygen sensor input is used to detect catalytic convertor deterioration. As the convertor deteriorates, the input from the downstream sensor begins to match the upstream sensor input except for a slight time delay. By comparing the downstream heated oxygen sensor input to the input from the upstream sensor, the PCM calculates catalytic convertor efficiency. Also used to establish the upstream O2 goal voltage (switching point).

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 years ago.

Here is the complete wiring diagram.

graphic

I hope this helps. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE