AutotechAL, Master Auto Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep tech from 1982-2005,Master ASE Status.Currently an automotive tech. instructor

tune up procedure for 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2

No Comment Added

"Tune Up" is a very misused term.Depending on the mileage various components will need periodic preventive maintenance replacing.Every 30,000 miles the spark plugs and air filter should be replaced.To access any of these parts,the engine cover"dog house" must be removed from the passenger compartment.Push the passenger seat full rearward and remove everything sitting on that housing between the front seats.Pull back the floor carpet slightly and you will see 2 or 3 clamps holding the cover to the floor. Remove the screws in these clamps.There is also 2 release levers that must be disengaged at the furthest front part of the cover.These are not on the floor,but about 6 inches up from the floor where the cover meets the firewall(the vertical panel in front of the passenger and drivers feet) After the cover is removed you will see the engine . Follow all 8 spark plug wires to the engine(4 on each side).Twist the spark plug wire ends(boots) and gently remove wire from the plug.Replace each (8) plugs.The air cleaner housing is the big black round part on top of the engine.Remove the wing nut on top and remove the top section.(usually is stubborn-may need to pry apart with a screw driver.If the engine has over 60,000 miles on it I would also replace the spark plug wires ,distributor cap and rotor.The "cap" is where all 8 wires originate from.The cap is removed by removing the 2 screws on the side of the cap.After the cap is removed you will see the "rotor" sitting on top of the now exposed center shaft.The rotor may have a set screw,but usually is just pulled up to remove.You MUST reconnect all wires to their original terminal of the cap and of course to the correct plug on the other end.The PCV valve should also be replaced at 60K.This is an "L" shaped valve that sits in a hole in one of the valve covers(top side covers of engine).The valve will have a rubber hose plugged onto it .Remove the hose and replace the valve.

Sorry about how lengthy this response was,but you can see it is not a simple question to answer.Good Luck and let me know if I can helpful in any other way.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it is a pickup not a van
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

relly my question is this. it has no cap and rotor.just wondering if i have to replace the coil,and do i need to worry about timing. thanks

Sorry about the confusion.That pick up engine is even easier.That engine uses a crank sensor and ,as you stated,does not have a distributor.The coil is not a part that is replaced during a tune up,and the timing is automatically adjusted through the PCM( powertrain control module) computer. The previous info I supplied regarding plugs,wires and PCV valve still hold true.This engine uses a different air filter housing.Instead of the round filter,there is a rectangular housing in the center of the engine which contains a rectangular air filter which should be replaced.The fuel filter is located in the fuel tank on the fuel pump and is not usually a concern unless there is very high mileage on the vehicle(upwards of 150,000 miles).