ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master certified, Advanced level engine performance
2207141

2000 Dodge Neon: there a clutch pedal adjustment..clutch engages

Is there a clutch pedal adjustment on a 2000 Dodge Neon? The clutch engages when pedal is pushed in only about 1/4".
Hi!
There is no adjustment in the clutch system in your car. The clutch is hydraulic, and there is no cabe to adjust.

If you are experiencing a high friction point, as in you need to let the clutch pedal all the way out for the clutch to catch when shifting gears, you have a worn clutch that will most likely need to be changed soon.

If you have a low friction point, as in you barely have to let the clutch pedal up off the floor for the clutch to catch, you have low fluid in your system which has allowed air into the hydraulics. This is only caused by a leak somewhere in the system. Filling the system back up and bleeding the air will fix this. This won't fix a high friction point, so don't waste your time then.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
From your description, it seems as though I have a high friction point. (ie: needing new clutch soon) :( What is the going price for having this done? (So I don't get ripped off)
Good idea!

I can give you a general estimate, as labor rates vary- depending on where you live. Good news is you have one of the easy clutches to replace!! Labor time is about 3.1 hours to replace, and changing the rear main oil seal is also a good idea while you are in there. That will add about .6 hours to the bill, but this is a pretty commonly failed part on Neons. You will have to call around to see what the labor rate is in your area and calculate it out. As far as parts go, price depends on where the shop gets the parts from. Prices can range from about $150 to $400 (higher price from the dealership!) The aftermarket clutches are generally lower in price. You should also have the flywheel resurfaced to ensure proper clutch seating (and to not void the warranty on the new clutch.) This will run you about $75.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!