RIP
RIP, Lead Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Adv Level, Ca Smog License, Chrysler Aftermarket Training.
1100518

Dodge: code P0432..what does this mean, and what..fix

Customer Question

Dodge dakota..MIL came on with code P0432..what does this mean, and what needs to be done to fix it.
Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.
Customer

The code P0432 is defined as 2/1 Catalyctic Convertor Efficiency. This can be the result of a poorly running engine, an exhaust leak, defective catalyctic convertor, the engine's computer, or faulty oxygen sensor. Commonly (9 times out of 10) the code is set because of a worn catalyctic convertor, but when the convertor is replaced the oxygen sensor for it's monitoring should also be replaced. The code distinguishes this to be the catalyst for bank 2, there are two catalysts on your truck. Also, keep in mind that factory cats should always be used, aftermarket "bargin" cats tend to not efficiently reduce emmisions according to the engine computer's parameters and often reset a ficticious Check Engine Lamp with the smae code. To correctly test for the above condition, a factory level scan tool is used to monitor the catalyst efficiency and used in conjunction with an emmision analyser to verify if the catalyst has trully failed.

-Rip

RIP, Lead Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Adv Level, Ca Smog License, Chrysler Aftermarket Training.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something that will harm other stuff on my truck? I don't really have the money to get it fixed at this time, but can do it later on.
Just didnt want to take a chance of something else going wrong with it
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

No, absolutly not. The vehicle will perform as usual, but the Check Engine Lamp will remain illuminated and the only drawback to that is you cannot tell if another fault occurs. but in most cases performance issues are obvious without the lamps direction. The Catalyst fault is emmision related only and is there because of the federal mandate for emmision reduction, so the catalyst can even be doing it's job, just not effieciently according to the computer's programming. Also, your states emmisions testing may be affected by the illumination of the lamp (if applicable). Use the time to research a good replacement cat for your truck, even possibly a used factory one at a 1/3 of the cost, or look into a facility that rebuilds them.

-Rip

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks..Thats good news...Have a Happy Holiday, and thank you again!
Expert:  RIP replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the accept....Merry Christmas.

-Rip