Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician

How do I change a thermostat on a 2000 Dodge Caravan ...

Customer Question

How do I change a thermostat on a 2000 Dodge Caravan and does the new thermostat require a gasket?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Steve replied 10 years ago.

what engine do you have in your Caravan?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Steve7654's Post: 3.3 V6
Expert:  Steve replied 10 years ago.

The thermostat is located under the small metal housing where the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine. Here is the replacement procedure as it is printed in the service manual for the vehicle:

Drain coolant down below the thermostat level

1. Remove thermostat housing bolts and housing .
  2. Remove thermostat. Discard gasket and clean both gasket sealing surfaces.

• Place a new gasket (dipped in water) on the thermostat housing surface, center thermostat into opening in the intake manifold water box.
  • Place housing and gasket over the thermostat, making sure thermostat is in the recess provided.
  • Install housing to intake manifold and tighten bolts to 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) .
  • Refill the cooling system to the proper level.
  • I hope this is helpful and answers your question; if so, please click my accept button and leave positive feedback! Thanks!