Michael
Michael, Auto Technician
Experience:  21 years Foreign and Domestic driveability diagnosis and repair. ASE Cert./Fuel injection Specialist
311867

How do i work out how many miles i can get per litre of ...

Customer Question

How do i work out how many miles i can get per litre of petrol in a 1.1 litre car
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Hello. here is your answer. Please click my accept button if this answers your question. ThanxCustomer I will also post some economy tips that will increase your mileage.They work if you follow them. You can gain 4-10 MPG just by driving the speed limit.

Odometer Method

MPG can be calculated in four easy steps:
Step 1. Filling the vehicle's gas tank completely and writing down the vehicle's odometer reading (mileage). Example: The last time the tank was filled, the odometer reading was 32,645.1 miles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2. When it's time to refuel, filling the tank completely and writing down the number of gallons it took to fill the tank and the vehicle's new odometer reading. Once two odometer readings are taken, MPG can be calculated. Example: The next time the tank was filled, the odometer reading was 33,001.3. It took 13.5 gallons to fill the tank.

Step 3. Calculating the distance driven by subtracting the previous odometer reading from the new one. Example: The distance driven would be 33,001.3 minus 32,645.1, or 356.2 miles.

Step 4. Dividing the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank. The result is the vehicle's MPG for that driving period. Example: 356.2 miles divided by 13.5 gallons equals 26.4 miles per gallon.

The MPG for that driving period would be 26.4.

Alternate Method

If you use your vehicle's trip odometer, MPG can be calculated by:
Step 1. Filling the vehicle's gas tank completely and re-setting the trip odometer. Note: Sometimes it's easy to get the main odometer and trip odometer readings confused, especially if the vehicle is new.

Step 2. When it's time to re-fuel

Filling the tank completely
Writing down the number of gallons it took to fill the tank
Writing down the mileage on the trip odometer
Re-setting the trip odometer
Example: It took 9.5 gallons to completely fill the tank, and the trip odometer reads 335 miles.

Step 3. Dividing the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it took to fill the tank. The result is the vehicle's MPG for that driving period. Example: 335 miles divided by 9.5 gallons equals 35.5 miles per gallon.

Mileage Tips:

1) Check your air filter
A clean air filter is the key to good fuel economy. A dirty air filter restricts the flow of air into the engine, which harms performance and economy. Air filters are easy to check and change; hold the filter up to the sun and if you can't see through it, you need a new one. Consider a K&N or similar oiled filter which is cleaned rather than changed; they are much less restrictive than throw-away paper filers.

2) Keep up the (tire) pressure
Under-inflated tires can easily cost 2 to 3 MPG or more. Buy a reliable tire gauge, check your tires when they are cold (driving the car warms up the tires and the air in them, increasing the pressure), and keep them properly inflated. Use the inflation pressures shown in the owner's manual or on a data plate in the driver's door jamb.

3)Slow down
As speed increases, fuel economy decreases exponentially. If you one of the "ten-over on the freeway" set, try driving the speed limit for a few days. You'll save a lot of fuel and your journey won't take much longer. Just be sure you keep to the right, so you won't impede the less-enlightened.

4) Hang with the trucks
Ever notice how, in bad traffic jams, cars seem to constantly speed up and slow down, while trucks tend to roll along at the same leisurely pace? A constant speed keeps shifting to a minimum -- important to those who have to wrangle with those ten-speed truck transmissions -- but it also aids economy, as it takes much more fuel to get a vehicle moving than it does to keep it moving.

5) Try premium
Most new cars will run well on any grade of gasoline, but I've heard anecdotal evidence of older cars getting better economy from higher octane gasoline. Try a tank or two, record your mileage, then do the math, translating cost-per-gallon to cost-per-mile. The expensive stuff just might turn out to be cheaper.

6) Get back to nature
Consider shutting off the air conditioning and opening the windows. (Personally, I don't always mind the heat, but I do mind showing up all sweaty and smelly; the solution is to bring an extra shirt and arrive early, leaving time to change.) Keep in mind that at higher speeds the A/C may be more efficient than the wind resistance from open windows and sunroof.

7) Back off the bling
New wheels and tires may look cool, and they can certainly improve handling. But if they are wider than the stock tires, chances are they'll create more rolling resistance and decrease fuel economy. If you upgrade your wheels and tires, keep the old ones. I have fancy sport rims and aggressive tires on my own car, but I keep the stock wheels with a good narrower-tread performance tire in the garage. For long road trips, the stock wheels give a smoother ride and better economy.

8) Clean out your car
The more weight your car has to haul, the more gas it needs to do the work. If you're the type who takes a leisurely attitude towards car cleanliness -- and I definitely fall into that group -- periodically go through your car and see what can be tossed out or brought into the house. It doesn't take much to acquire an extra 40 or 50 lbs. of stuff. The difference in economy may be small, but every little bit counts, right?

9) Out with the new, in with the old
Many people I know keep their old cars around even after they buy a new one. A spare car, especially if it's an econobox, can be good insurance against temporary rises in gas prices due to world events. The costs of keeping the car may or may not be less then the fuel saved, but it does allow for more predictability in your budget.

10) Don't drive
Not a popular thing to say on a car site, I know, but the fact is that if you can avoid driving, you'll save gas. Take the train, ride your bike, carpool, consolidate your shopping trips. And always ask yourself: "Is this trip really necessary?"