Chrysler man
Chrysler man, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified as an L1 Master Technician with extensive experience in Dodge products
201885

2002 Dodge Intrepid: overheating..the water pump, the radiator

I have overheating problems with my 2002 Dodge Intrepid, i have replaced the thermostat, the water pump, the radiator and still having problems. Any suggestions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chrysler man replied 10 years ago.
Past overheating may have left you with a blown head gasket now. You will have to pressure test the cooling system for a long period of time with all the spark plugs removed to findd out if any coolant gets into any of the cylinders or if the pressure reading drops.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Chrysler man's Post: I have already checked the head gasket and it is fine. The problem is that the overheating happens very quicky as iof there is no coolant circulation. I was told that there was a problem with the original coolant dodge used, and that it creates a sludge inside the passages thus preventing coolant flow, if this is true, how do i go about cleaning it? Please Help!

The only place you could get enough of that built up to overheat that quickly is in the radiator and you already changed that.

If you think you have a circulation problem, then remove the thermostat and put the housing back on. Leave the upper hose off the radiator and put a hose in the radiator cap and run the engine to see just how much it pumps out of the hose.

The only things left to completely stop flow would be the thermostat, whether it be defective or in backwards or the impellers rusted off the water pump but that is rare.