Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2000 Dodge Neon: is making a loud noise when you drive it..only makes

Customer Question

My 2000 Dodge Neon is making a loud noise when you drive it. It only makes the sound when you give it gas, but not when it is sitting still.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  32roadster replied 10 years ago.

What kind of noise is it, and where is it coming from?

hum?

buzz?

Whine?

clunk?

other...describe in detail?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: The sound is a loud humming. kind of like a motorcycle muffler. Also it's coming, I think from the front but I'm not 100% sure.

Have you noticed any driveability issues since this noise started?

Also, how long ago did this start to happen?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: My car isn't driving weird or seems to be having any other problems but the noise. It started two weeks ago or so. It's annoying to listen to as I drive. I just got my head gaskets fixed a few months ago, so I wasn't excepting anything eles to go wrong.

I am basing my answer on what you told me. Since you mentioned that the noise sounds like a motorcycle muffler, then only thing that sounds like that is a muffler. I believe that your problem exists in the exhaust system. It may be possible that the exhaust manifold bolts got loose and that is why you are hearing the excessive noise.

If you have the transmission in park and you rev the engine, can you hear the noise?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: It's late here, but I took a little car ride. I didn't hear it when I was in neutral and gave it gas. If it is the exhaust system how would that happen?

From the recent work that was done to the heads. The exhaust system needs to be removed. So maybe the bolts got loose and thus causing the noise. It wouldnt be a bad idea to take the car in to the shop that did the work and have them check up on their work.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: Do you think they would charge me for looking at it?

They shouldn't. I would ask them before they check anything.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: I'll pay you for your help but one more question. Is it dangerous to drive around like that? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

You can drive around like that, no problem. I believe the problem is in the exhaust system. It may or may not be the bolts that got loose, it can be that there is a hole causing the noise and the bigger the hole the louder the noise. If the noise gradually started to get louder as time went by then that would indicate that you have an exhaust system that is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

ps- I am posting as an info request, because you dont need to accept. Its on me. Have a good night and let me know what they tell you.

pps- if you for any reason you begin to smell the exhaust smoke, then it is dangerous to drive around like that. Since you didnt mention anything like that, I dont think its dangerous to drive. And I think that it may be that the exhaust system needs to be replaced(once again I based my answer on what you said).

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to 32roadster's Post: Thank you that's very sweet of you. Their's not that many people like you out there these days. Thanks again and I will definitely write back with the results. Good Night.