mndave0002
mndave0002, engineer
Experience:  Design engineer and toolmaker mechanic previous ASE mech and ICARE body man
7009730

1995 dodge: exploded view..picture for the re-assembly

Customer Question

exploded view of transmission for 1995 dodge ram with over drive.need to see picture for the re-assembly
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  mndave0002 replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to justanswer.com

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Pick-Up and Ramcharger

1. Remove the transmission and converter as an assembly; otherwise the converter drive plate pump bushing and oil seal will be damaged. The drive plate will not support a load. Therefore, none of the weight of transmission should be allowed to rest on the plate during removal.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the engine cover. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

3. Remove engine to transmission struts, if necessary. You may have to drop the exhaust system on some models.

4. Remove the starter. Remove wire from the neutral starting switch and converter solenoid (if equipped).

5. Remove the gearshift cable or rod from the transmission and the lever.

6. Disconnect the throttle rod from left side of transmission. Disconnect the distance sensor and speedometer.

7. Drain the transmission fluid and reinstall the pan. Disconnect the oil cooler lines at transmission and remove the oil filler tube. Disconnect the speedometer cable.

8. Remove the converter front cover. Mark the converter and flexplate to converter mounting bolts/nuts. Turn the engine in a clockwise direction to gain access to the bolts. Mark for reference and remove the driveshaft.

9. Install engine support fixture or position a jack to hold up the rear of the engine. Care should be taken not to place strain on the radiator hoses, etc. Watch the fan-to-radiator clearance.

10. Position a suitable transmission jack under the transmission. Raise the transmission slightly with the jack to relieve load and remove support bracket or crossmember. Remove all of the bell housing bolts and carefully work transmission and converter rearward off engine dowels and disengage converter hub from end of crankshaft.

• Using a jack, position transmission and converter assembly in alignment with engine.

• Rotate converter so mark on converter (made during removal) will align with the mark on the flexplate. Carefully work the transmission assembly forward over engine block dowels with converter hub entering the crankshaft opening and the flexplate to converter mounts lined up.

• Install converter housing to engine bolts and tighten them.

• Install the converter to flexplate bolts.

• Install the rear crossmember and connect the rear transmission mount if loosened. Install the driveshaft.

• Connect oil cooler lines, install oil filler tube and connect the speedometer and distance sensor.

• Connect gearshift cable or rod and torque shaft assembly to the transmission case and to the lever.

• Connect throttle rod to the lever at left side of transmission bell housing.

• Connect wire to back-up and neutral staring switch. Connect the converter solenoid (if equipped).

• Install cover plate in front of the converter assembly. Install the starter motor and engine struts.

• Lower the vehicle and refill transmission with fluid.

• Adjust linkage.

• FRONT (KICKDOWN) BAND

See Figure 1

The kickdown band adjusting screw is located on the left-hand side of the transmission case near the throttle lever shaft.

1. Loosen the locknut and back it off about five turns. Be sure that the adjusting screw turns freely in the case.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 1: External controls and adjustment points for the A727/A999 transmission

1. Tighten the adjusting screw to 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).

2. Back off the adjusting screw to 21/2 turns.

3. Hold the adjuster screw in position and tighten the locknut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).

REAR (LOW AND REVERSE) BAND

See Figures 2, 3 and 4

The pan must be removed from the transmission to gain access to the low and reverse band adjusting screw.

1. Drain the transmission fluid and remove the pan.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 2: Low and reverse band adjusting screw

1. Loosen the band adjusting screw locknut and back it off about five turns. Be sure that the adjusting screw turns freely in the lever.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 3: Use an inch lb. torque wrench to adjust the front band on the A-500 transmission

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 4: Use wrenches to adjust the rear (low and reverse) band calibration screw and locknut

1. Back off the adjusting screw as follows:

• A727 & A518: 2 turns

• A998 & A999: 4 turns

• A-500: 4 turns

• 42RH: 4 turns

• 46RH: 2 turns

• 47RH: 3 turns

Keep the adjusting screw from turning, tighten and tighten the locknut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).

1. Use a new gasket and install the transmission pan.

SHIFT LINKAGE

See Figure 5

To insure proper adjustment, it is suggested that new linkage grommets be installed. Do not attempt to adjust the linkage if any of the parts are excessively worn. If any rods are removed from the plastic grommets, new grommets should be installed. Pry only where the grommet and rod attach, not on the rod itself. Use pliers to snap the rod into the new grommet.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 5: Details of a common column shift linkage

1. Shift the transmission into Park.

2. Raise the vehicle and support safely.

3. Loosen the shift rod adjusting swivel lock screw. Make sure the swivel turns freely on the rod.

4. Make sure the valve body is in the Park position by moving it all the way rearward.

5. Adjust the swivel position on the shift rod to obtain a free pinfit in the torque shaft lever. Tighten the lock screw.

6. If the vehicle starts in any gear other than Park or Neutral, or does not start in both Park and Neutral, the either the adjustment is wrong or another problem exists.

THROTTLE LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

See Figure 6

1. Retract the ISC actuator by doing one of the following:

1. If the DRBII scan tool is available, attach its connector to the diagnostic link-up. Start the engine and place the DRBII in the "Throttle Body Minimum Air Flow Test'' mode. Disconnect the electrical connector on the ISC actuator. Shut off the engine and disconnect the DRBII; the actuator is now fully retracted.

2. If the DRBII is not available, two jumper wires may be used. With the engine off, disconnect the connector to the ISC actuator. Connect a pair of jumper wires to the battery. Connect the negative jumper to the top pin of the ISC actuator and the positive jumper to the other pin. Do not leave the jumpers connected for more than five seconds. Disconnect the jumpers and the ISC actuator is fully retracted.

Click image to see an enlarged view
    Fig. 6: Details of the transmission throttle linkage

1. Raise the vehicle and support safely.

2. Loosen the adjustable swivel lock screw on the throttle rod enough so the rod travels freely in the swivel.

3. Hold the throttle lever firmly forward against its internal stop and tighten the lock screw. Lower the vehicle.

4. Reconnect the ISC actuator, if equipped.

5. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position for at least five seconds, but do not start the engine. Turn the key to the OFF position.

6. Start the engine and road test the vehicle.

this is instructions to remove and install and adjust. I am looking for a good diagram for an older tranny.

Hope this helps

If this helps click accept thanks again David