Brian W
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience:  Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
358821

Emergency brake will not release - pedal is down, handle

emergency brake will not release - pedal is down, handle does not release. tried brake cleaning fluid on rear drums - no joy
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Brian W replied 8 years ago.

If you pull on the handle and the pedal does not release, the problem is the parking brake mechinism. But I would first remove the drums and free up the parking brake lever just to be on the safe side, these have a habit of seizing up.

PARK BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY

REMOVE

1. Manually release the automatic self-adjusting mechanism tension of the park brake pedal assembly. Refer to Parking Brake Auto Adjuster Mechanism in the Service Procedures section of this service manual group for the required procedure.
  2. Remove sill molding/cowl side scuff panel and steering column cover. Increase access by removing electrical junction block, if required.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector for the brake light switch. Remove pedal assembly to body attaching bolts

1. Remove front cable strand button from clevis. Tap cable housing end fitting out of assembly

2. Pass park brake cable strand button through the hole in the pedal assembly bracket.
  3. Install cable retainer onto the park brake cable strand and then install retainer into pedal bracket.
  4. Install the end of the park brake cable housing into the retainer previously installed into the park brake pedal bracket.
  5. Install cable strand button into the clevis on the park brake pedal mechanism.
  6. Bolt pedal assembly into place. Tighten pedal assembly attaching bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.) Install electrical connector for the brake light switch.
  7. Install electrical junction block, steering column cover and sill molding/cowl side scuff panel.
  8. Connect the front park brake cable onto the equalizer. Engage the automatic self-adjuster mechanism of the parking brake pedal assembly. Refer to Parking Brake Auto Adjuster in the Service Procedures section of this service manual group for the required procedure.

9. ____________________________________

I hope this helps if so an accept is appreciated.

Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience: Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified