Big Dave
Big Dave, Shop foreman , Lead tech
Experience:  6ASE certifications,Electrical,AC,Engine, Steering/suspension,brakes, diagnostics,12years experience
1299822

2000 dodge grand caravan: the window regulator..door panel..assembly

I HAve a 2000 dodge grand caravan. the window regulator is shot,i have the interior door panel off and can get it to work by banging on it, but this won;t last much longer
how do you get the old assembly out of the panel without breaking the window, is there directions anywhre on the web or can you help me. thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Big Dave replied 10 years ago.

Afternoon lou

I can most likely help you out with this. First I need to know if it is a power or a manual window.

Let me know which we are working with and I will have you the process shortly.

Thank you

Dave

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Big Bald Dave's Post: power window
Expert:  david replied 10 years ago.

thank you for the question hope this helps.

1. Remove the door trim panel and inner liner. you have done that already

2. Remove the window glass from the regulator and the door.
    The window glass is mounted to the regulator by two mounting studs and nuts. Raise the glass until the mounting nuts align with the large access hole. Remove the nuts. Raise the glass up through the door frame. Rotate the glass so that the mounting studs pass through the notch at the rear of the door and remove the glass from the door.

3. If equipped with power windows, disconnect the wiring harness and remove the retainer clip.

4. Drill out the regulator mounting rivets. you may have screws instead of rivets as shone in the pic Their are five on vehicles equipped with electric windows, and six if equipped with manual windows.

5. Remove the regulator through the larger access hole. Rotate the regulator through the hole as required for removal.

1. Install the regulator to the mounting holes using 1/4-20 X1/2 in. long screws and nuts. Tighten the screws to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

2. Install the window glass, connect the motor wiring harness, and install the inner liner and door trim panel.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to david's Post: I AM DEFINATLY GOING TO PAY YOU, BUT THIS DOES NOT SEEM THE SAME AS MY DODGE GRAND CARAVAN, PROBABLY THE SAQME THOUGH?   DO I TAKE THE GLASS OUT THROUGH THE TOP WINDOW OPENING. I AM NOT STUPID BUT THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT THIS TPYE OF REPAIR, I NEED ALL THE ANSWERS BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER, THANKS FOR THE HELP
Expert:  Big Dave replied 10 years ago.
REMOVAL

1. Remove door trim panel and sound shield.
  2. Remove door glass retaining clips and allow glass to rest on bottom of door.
  3. Disconnect wire connector from power window motor.

.

1. Loosen screws attaching front and rear window guide rails to inner door panel.
  2. Remove screw heads on guide rails from key hole slots in inner door panel.
  3. Loosen screws attaching regulator to inner door panel.
  4. Remove regulator from inner door panel.

1. Extract rear guide rail through inner door panel rear access hole.
  2. Extract front guide rail through front access hole.

INSTALLATION

1. Insert front guide rail through front access hole.
  2. Insert rear guide rail through rear access hole.
  3. Place window regulator in position on inner door panel.
  4. Place screw heads on guide rails in position through key hole slots in inner door panel.
  5. Tighten screws to attach front and rear guide rails to inner door panel.
  6. Connect wire connector into power window motor.
  7. Install door glass.
  8. Verify door glass alignment and operation.
  9. Install sound shield and door trim panel.

Hopefully this answers your question. Be careful ,and I believe you will, to not slip and bump the glass. I believe the glass can be removed out of the window opening once it is disconnected, and the rails are out fo the way. Breaking glass is no fun. Be sure to store it out of the way and out of the sun.

This should about cover it. If there is anything else please let me know.

Thank you

Dave

Big Dave, Shop foreman , Lead tech
Experience: 6ASE certifications,Electrical,AC,Engine, Steering/suspension,brakes, diagnostics,12years experience