autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance

where is the power steering pump filter?

Have whinning noise in power steering pump on a 2002 dodge caravan...fluid is not low but have been told that the filter may be causing the problem. Need help finding exactly where it is so we can change it or take it out completely.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 7 years ago.

The filter screen is in the resivoir. Replacement of the resivoir is needed to replce it. Here is the tsb from chrysler on the whine noise. The screen becomes plugged with dirt and causes the lack of fluid to the pump from the resivoir. Make sure you use ATF +4 when you refill the system. Do not use power steering fluid.

NUMBER: 19-001-02

GROUP: Steering

DATE: Jan. 11, 2002

SUBJECT:
Power Steering Moan/Groan Sound

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the power steering fluid reservoir and filling the power steering system with ATF+4 (M59602) fluid.

MODELS:

2001            (RS)    Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2001 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

NOTE : THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 3.3L AND 3.8L ENGINE BUILT BEFORE MAY 22, 2001 AT WINDSOR ASSEMBLY PLANT, JUNE 4,XXXXX LOUIS ASSEMBLY PLANT, AND JULY 2, 2001 AT GRAZ ASSEMBLY PLANT. VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AFTER THESE DATES HAVE ATF+4 (M59602) POWER STEERING FLUID AS A FACTORY FILL AND ARE NOT AFFECTED. IF THE VEHICLE ALREADY HAS ATF+4 FLUID IN THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM, THIS TSB IS NOT APPLICABLE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A power steering moaning/groaning sound may be heard under most operating conditions.

The sound is typically worse at cold start up and during lower speeds and parking maneuvers.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the vehicle operator describes the above symptom/condition, refer to the 2001 RS Service Manual or the MDS2, Section 19, Steering, Diagnosis and Testing - Steering System Diagnosis Chart, for possible causes. If no causes are found, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Wipe the power steering cap and area free of dirt. Remove the power steering cap.

2. Use a siphon pump to remove as much fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.

3. With a helper in the vehicle, raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.

WARNING :POWER STEERING FLUID, ENGINE PARTS, AND THE EXHAUST SYSTEM MAY BE EXTREMELY HOT IF THE ENGINE HAS BEEN RUNNING. DO NOT START ENGINE WITH ANY LOOSE OR DISCONNECTED HOSES. DO NOT ALLOW HOSES OR POWER STEERING FLUID TO TOUCH HOT EXHAUST MANIFOLD OR CATALYST.

4. Locate the power steering cooler attached to the crossmember support plate. Slide back the clamp and disconnect one of the two power steering return hoses at the power steering oil cooler and drain fluid in an appropriate container.

5. Have the helper turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly several times to force as much fluid as possible from the steering gear.

6. Reconnect the hose at the oil cooler using the original clamp.

7. Lower vehicle so the vehicle tires are not contacting the ground.

8. Remove and replace the power steering reservoir (p/n 04743012AA) using the procedure outlined in the 2002 Service Manual or the MDS2, Section 19, Steering, Pump, Reservoir - Power Steering Fluid.

9. For proper fluid fill and bleeding air from the power steering system:

a. Fill the power steering reservoir to the top of the fill range using Mopar power steering fluid (ATF+4) p/n 05013458AA.

b. With the engine OFF and the vehicles tires off the ground, slowly turn the steering wheel back and forth (lock to lock) slowly 20 times to force fluid into the steering gear.

c. Fill the power steering reservoir to the top of the fill range.

d. Start engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn oft engine.

e. Check fluid level and add if necessary.

f. Start engine, and slowly turn the steering wheel lightly contacting the left and right stops.

g. Stop the engine and check fluid level. Add fluid if necessary.

h. Lower vehicle, start engine and slowly turn steering wheel lock-to-lock.

I. Stop engine and check fluid level. Add fluid if necessary.

j. If fluid is extremely foamy, allow vehicle to stabilize a few minutes, then repeat steps "i" and "j" until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock.

10. Inform the vehicle owner/operator that a steering vibration may be noted for a few hundred miles until the air is completely removed from the steering system.

autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance