Brian W
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience:  Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
358821

How do I remove a broken wheel stud on a 1998 dodge caravan

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Brian W replied 10 years ago.
Hello, I hope this helps you.

FRONT WHEEL MOUNTING STUDS

REMOVE

The hub and bearing assembly does not require removal from the steering knuckle to replace wheel attaching studs in the hub and bearing assembly.

1. Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist. See Hoisting in the Lubrication and Maintenance section of this manual for the required lifting procedure to be used for this vehicle.
  2. Remove the front wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the front caliper assembly from the front steering knuckle assembly.
  4. Remove front rotor from hub, by pulling it straight off wheel mounting studs.
  5. Install a lug nut on the wheel stud to be removed from the hub and bearing assembly, so the threads on the stud are even with end of lug nut. Tap out with a hammer.

When shoulder of wheel stud is past flange remove lug nut from stud and remove wheel stud from flange.

INSTALL

1. Install replacement wheel stud into flange of hub and bearing assembly. Install washers on wheel stud, then install a wheel lug nut on stud with flat side of lug nut against washers Installing
  2. Tighten the wheel lug nut, pulling the wheel stud into the flange of the hub and bearing assembly. When the head of the stud is fully seated against the bearing flange, remove lug nut and washers from wheel stud.
  3. Install the braking disk back on the hub and bearing assembly.
  4. Install front brake caliper back over braking disc and align with caliper mounting holes on steering knuckle Install the caliper adapter to steering knuckle attaching bolts and torque to 19 N·m (168 in. lbs.)
  5. Install wheel and tire assembly on vehicle. Tighten the wheel mounting stud nuts in proper sequence until all nuts are torqued to half specification. Then repeat the tightening sequence to the full specified torque of 129 N·m (95 ft. lbs.)
  6. Lower vehicle to the ground.

7. Thanks for the question an accept is appreciated.

8. ____________________________________