Michael
Michael, Auto Technician
Experience:  21 years Foreign and Domestic driveability diagnosis and repair. ASE Cert./Fuel injection Specialist
311867

98 dodge neon turns over wont start getting no spark

the car was running it just stopped and will not start again checked the fuel pump, cam sensor crank sensor and the coil
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Brian W replied 8 years ago.
Did you test your ASD relay and output?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
yes I checked the ASD all the fuses and relays
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Hello!Brian is going on Vacay and asked me to help you.here is how I suggest you proceed here instead of jumping around lets isolate the problem step by step.

Here are the procedures to check for a no start on a fuel injected engine.It will require a couple diagnostic tools that you do nt most likely posess,but may be able to obtain through a tool loan or rental program at many parts stores.

In order for an engine to run it needs the following:

1. Fuel (Fuel pressure gauge)
2. Spark (In line Spark tester)
3. Injector pulse (Noid Lights)
4. Air/compression

You must determine which one or more is missing to proceed.

You can reduce the troubleshooting by spraying carb clean or a little ether into the intake throttle body to see if it attempts to start.If it does, then there is a problem with fuel delivery and not ignition.This will tell you whether or not there is fuel being delivered and isolate the issue to fuel pressure/delivery or injector control circuits.

FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE 49 PSI(POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH)

POSITION THE IGNITION SWITCH AND THE A/C SYSTEM IN THE
OFF POSITION. INSTALL A FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE TO THE
VEHICLES FUEL RAIL SERVICE VALVE. CONFIRM THAT
NO LEAKS ARE PRESENT, AND PLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH
IN THE RUN POSITION AND UTILIZE A SCAN TOOL TO
ENERGIZE THE FUEL PUMP. THIS WILL BRING THE SYSTEM
TO A STABILIZED FUEL PRESSURE THAT CAN BE VISUALLY
VERIFIED ON THE GAUGE.

You can check for spark at a spark plug wire while cranking with a flat tip driver or in line spark tester inserted into the plug wire boot and placed close to any metal part on the engine besides the fuel system lines and fittings or just plugged back onto the spark plug if using an inline tester.

To check injector pulse you will need a noid light set which can be purchased at your local parts store or through tool rental or loan programs as mentioned above.(Picture below)

To check for air just make sure the air filter is not totally restricted.

If all is OK check compression at each cyl with pressure gauge as the timing belt may have jumped atooth or broke.

Please post back with your results so that we may help you through you car trouble.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael's Post: Fuel pump works when jumped at relay but has no spark at wires. Coil checks out ok Timing belt marks are still lined up
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
Actual Fuel pressure? Injector pulse?What do you mean coil checks out OK?Is there spark at the coil?Did you perform a resistance or voltage test there?Should be hot with key on AND when cranking.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I DID EVERYTHING YOU ASKED BUT THEN I FOUND SOMETHING ELSE. I WENT THROUGH THE FUSES AGAIN AND FOUND THE ENGINE IGNITION FEED   FUSE BLOWN. I PUT IN ANOTHER FUSE ANDE IT BLEW IMMEDIATELY. I JUMPER WIRED THE FUSE AND THE CAR STARTED RIGHT UP. NOW I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THE SHORT COULD BE. DO I TRACE ALL THE WIRE THE SCHEMATIC SHOWS IS THER A SHORT CUT SHOULD I LOOK FOR SOMETHING SPECIFIC
Expert:  Davo replied 8 years ago.
I don't mean to butt in here but you better remove the jumper wire now before you get a fire.
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.

Thanx Davo!By all means do not leave it jumped as it may cause a fire.Do you mean the 30A fuse for the start circuit below?Or the ignition fuse itself which would indicate the coil as the culprit.

The 20Amp fuse here? #21

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
It was the 15 amp fuse in the fuse box located to the left of the steering wheel in the interior. What would cause this to blow? Coil?
Expert:  Michael replied 8 years ago.
Does it blow right away or did it blow just this once?Does it blow while driving?A dead short to ground or an overloaded circuit will blow the fuse.You'll need to trace everything on the circuit for short to ground,torn/smashed wiring causing too much current to be drawn or faulty load component with a test light or multi-meter.
Michael, Auto Technician
Experience: 21 years Foreign and Domestic driveability diagnosis and repair. ASE Cert./Fuel injection Specialist