Brian W
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience:  Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
358821

99 dodge stratus: 2.4L..timing marks..2 different engines..plastic

on a 99 dodge stratus 2.4L engine I am unable to find the timing marks on the rear of the timing belt cover???   the instructions say it in several different books, but all i see on 2 different engines is flat plastic with no marks.. I have it put back togerther runs just like before, but idles a little rough. judging from the pictures i have i used a ruler to run a straight line from the 2 timing on the exhaust sprocket thru the center of the intake sprocket. am I missing something???

Optional Information:
1999 Dodge stratus 2.4

Here are the marks that you need to use.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
your pictures show timimg marks together like chilton, but haynes and some intructions i got from another guy here show 1/2 notch off. All that I have read say there are "timing marks on the rear timing belt cover and oil pump cover" I am unable to find the ones on the rear timing belt cover. My concern is having the exhaust off clockwise one tooth and the intake counterclocked one tooth off the belt or vise versa.

That is correct once you do this they will line up. The half notch is a guide to get the sprockets to line up, here is a much better reference. You should be able to take a straight edge across the marks, once the tensioner is released. Roll the motor over two times by hand and verify the timing marks are aligned.

TIMING BELT

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
  2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System.
  4. Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.
  6. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  7. Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  8. Remove right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

9. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth)

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned

.
  10. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
  11. Remove timing belt

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replaced. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure in this section.

INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner
  4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack

NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

5. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.
  6. Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate the crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in
  7. Install right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  8. Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  9. Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  10. Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
  11. Install crankshaft damper. Refer to procedure in this section.
  12. Install accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System.
  13. Install right inner splash shield.
  14. Install right front wheel
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.
Experience: Chrysler Gold Certified, Ase Certified
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
so there are no marks on the rear timing belt cover, basicly just go with a straight line?
Thats right, Good luck.
Brian W, Master Chrysler Tech.