Tech501
Tech501,
74686

97 dodge stratus: the drivers side rear view mirror

Customer Question

how do i replace the drivers side rear view mirror on a 97 dodge stratus. there is a black panel on the inside of the door, and i can replace the mirror myself if i can find a way to remove the black panel on the inside of the door. please help!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 13

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Open the door, then lower the window.

3. If equipped with manual windows, slide a window crank removal tool behind the crank to unfasten the retaining clip, then remove the crank.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Place a small piece of cloth or paper towel behind the tool to prevent scuffing the door panel when removing the speaker grille

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: After releasing the locating tabs, remove the door speaker grille. Be careful not to bend the grille while removing

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Remove the door panel mounting screws

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Using a small prying tool, remove the screw hole cover in the bottom of the armrest pull cup

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Remove the retaining screw in the armrest pull cup

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 6: Using a small prying tool while holding the inside door latch handle outward, remove the screw hole cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 7: Remove the retaining screw behind the inside door latch handle

1. On all vehicles except Sebring coupe and Avenger, perform the following steps:

1. Disengage the clips that secure the speaker grille to the trim panel.

2. Remove the screws securing the trim panel to the door from around the speaker opening.

2. On Sebring convertible models, use a small flat tipped pry tool to remove the trim cap at the rear end of the door arm rest and remove the trim panel mounting screw.

3. On Sebring coupe and Avenger vehicles, perform the following:

1. Remove the 2 trim panel mounting screws from the rear end of the door.

2. Remove the 2 trim panel mounting screws from the front end of the door.

4. Using a small pry tool, remove the screw cap from the bottom of the arm rest pull cup.

5. Unfasten the screw attaching the pull cup to the door panel.

6. Pull the inside door latch release handle, in order to remove the screw cap from behind the latch handle.

7. While holding out the inside door latch release handle, remove the screw.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 8: Use a fork-type trim panel fastener removal tool to disengage the door trim panel push-in fasteners

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 9: Pull off the trim panel at the bottom

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 10: Using a flat tipped prying tool, unsnap the plastic clip from the inner door latch rod mechanism

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 11: Detach the wiring harness connector from inside the door to enable trim panel removal

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 12: Detach any electrical switch connectors from the door trim panel

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 13: Lift the trim panel upward and pull it away from the door

Use a fork-type trim panel fastener removal tool to disengage the push-in fasteners. Pulling on the trim panel to disengage the fasteners will damage the panel.

1. Disengage all hidden push-in fasteners attaching the trim panel to the door. Make sure that all of the fasteners are detached using the removal tool.

2. Tilt the trim panel out to clear the locator pins on the back side of the trim panel.

3. Lift the trim panel to disengage it from the retainer channel on the inner belt weatherstrip at the top of the door and to clear the lock button.

4. Disengage the clip holding the door latch linkage to the back of the inside door handle, then separate the latch rod from the handle.

Do not allow the door trim panel to hang by the wire connector or wiring.

1. Detach the wire connector(s) from the power door lock switch, mirror switch and/or power window switch, as applicable.

2. Remove the trim panel from the vehicle.

To install:

1. Replace any missing or damaged push-in retainers with new ones of the same type and quality.

2. Position the trim panel near the door.

3. Attach the connectors to the power components (window, mirror, locks), as applicable.

4. Insert the latch rod into the inside latch release.

5. Engage the clip holding the door latch linkage to the back of the inside door handle.

6. Place the trim panel into the retainer channel at the top of the door and push it down to seat.

7. Locate the door trim panel to the inner door panel by aligning the locating pins on the backside of the trim panel to the mating holes in the inner door panel. Gently shift the panel forward or rearward, as necessary.

8. Engage the hidden push-in fasteners holding the trim panel to the door from around the perimeter of the trim panel.

9. With the window still all the way down, position the window regulator crank handle (if equipped with manual windows). On the right door, install the handle at the 10 o'clock position; on the left door, install the handle at the 2 o'clock position.

10. Install the screw securing the trim panel to the door from behind the inside door latch release handle. Install the screw cap.

11. Install and tighten the screw inside the pull cup holding the door trim panel to the bracket. Install the screw cap.

12. On all vehicles except Sebring coupe and Avenger, perform the following steps:

1. Install and tighten the screws securing the trim panel to the door around the speaker opening.

2. Engage the clips that secure the speaker grille to the trim panel.

13. On Sebring convertible models, install and tighten the trim panel mounting screw at the rear end of the door armrest. Install the screw cover trim cap.

14. On Sebring coupe and Avenger models, perform the following:

1. Install and tighten the 2 trim panel mounting screws to the front end of the door.

2. Install and tighten the 2 trim panel mounting screws to the rear end of the door.

15. Connect the negative battery cable.

Tech501,
Experience: 
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Tech501's Post: Just what I needed, thanks a bunch!!!
Expert:  Tech501 replied 9 years ago.
 Your entirely welcome. Come on back when you need something else.