Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS that I have used

Customer Question

I have a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS that I have used successfully to take photos and upload them onto our website. However, the photos are now all turned sideways when I upload them. (Even if I turn them to the correct position before I load them). We upload to our website and another site, and because the problem is happening with both sites, I was wondering if perhaps we did something to out settings on our camera. Please help. I am soooooo behind at work because of this issue.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I understand that the situation must be bothersome and frustrating.

I think there is a setting on your camera that, when changed, could help with this issue.

But please tell me first, before I advise you - in case I get a detail wrong: When you say the pictures are turned sideways, do you mean that they look like this:

_______________

I

I______________I

when they should look more like this:

________

I

I

I

I_______I

?

I have exaggerated the proportions a little. But I need to know which way the pictures are coming out wrong, before advising you, please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I take them the 2nd way, and they show up sideways (1st way)

Good! I am looking up the setting or settings that might determine that result, and also, how to set the camera so it comes out the 2nd way. Just a few minutes, and I will offer my answer... please be patient a bit.

I'm not sure what orientation the camera was in when you took the pictures that came out wrong... but try checking on this setting:

Press MENU

then choose Auto Rotate on the > tab.

Is that already set to 'Off' ? If not, then set it to Off, and press FuncSet if necessary to save the changed setting.

Or, check that your setting remains changed to Off, by going back into that menu.

Does that produce the right result?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just tried it again. I have to take the the photo horizontally, when I prefer vertically. If I take it vertically, it is still sideways.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont have a setting that says auto rotate??????
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Russell, are you still there?

OK. There is a function that senses when the camera is being held a particular way, and takes the picture correspondingly. Is that what you mean? do you want to hold the camera one way, but have the picture come out the other way? if so, set the Auto Rotate to Off and confirm that the setting has been saved that way.

You may also need to turn Off the Smart Shuffle mode, too, in which a picture taken in one orientation of the camera stays in that orientation.

Smart Shuffle mode is disabled as follows:

Press FUNC/SET, and choose the tab at left that is an oval with a > in it (that looks vaguely like RealPlayer's logo used to look.)

...then, it is uncertain how to turn Off Smart Shuffle. Perhaps a Factory Settings reset of the camera would get it to be how you need it.

No Auto Rotate item in

the > tab

after pressing MENU and choosing that tab?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like the photos to come out the way I take them.....horizontally or vertically. I usually take them vertically. They show up correctly before they are uploaded. But when I upload them, they are all turned sideways.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I press menu, I get 2 tabs. One has a image of a camera, the second has images of tools.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did this ...........Press FUNC/SET, On the left side I have these options
1:1
4:3
3:2
FHG
S

If you get 2 tabs by pressing MENU, try pressing the down-arrow key.

How do you upload the pictures? perhaps the software is at fault and is rotating your images.

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)