RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

S7000 sometimes (more often than not) will not focus

Customer Question

s7000 sometimes (more often than not) will not focus
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 5 months ago.

I am assuming that your camera is the newer Nikon Coolpix S7000 and not the older Fuji Finepix S7000. If I am incorrect, please let me know since the reset instructions are different.

First, in order to set a good reference point, please reset the camera using the attached instructions.

Next, carefully clean the lens. Depending on the environment that you are shooting in, Fingerprints or a haze can build up on the lens and cause incorrect readings. In Auto mode the camera will not allow the shutter to release if it cannot find the correct focus point. (At times even experienced photographers miss this.) And remember, if there is not enough available light on enough contrast in the subject that you are shooting it will still hunt back and forth and force the use of the flash.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well. If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you and you need conventional repair, please let me know.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If you are satisfied that my answer is accurate or has provided a reasonable alternative solution, please do not forget to rate my answer OK, Good or Excellent.

Thank you